I think I'm finally close to the right dose of Lantus!

Discussion in 'Acromegaly / IAA / Cushings Cats' started by BubbasMama, Jul 17, 2020.

1. BubbasMama

BubbasMama New Member

Its been 6 months, and I think I am finally in the right dosing neighborhood for Bubba. 12.5-13 units
    He has really bad neropathy and has been on Zobaline for 5 months. I'm hoping now that we have his BG in a decent range we can finally help him with that. Any suggestions?
    He is also Acro, and I'm wondering how much is neropopathy and how much is his bones growing?

Would you guys mind checking out his BG spreadsheet and tell me what you think. Everyone has been so helpful. I didnt give him a shot today because it was so low in the Am and PM so I held off. I am so paranoid about hypoglycemia. I'm going to try and do a curve over the weekend just to get a better idea of how much dip he is having. Thank you all so much. This place has been a killer resource.

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

56 on the AT is way too low, I would take his dose down to 12 units. You saw a 59 on 12.5 units and you should have decreased back then. Since you are using the AT, you should reduce his dose every time he goes below 68. Actually with the gaps in testing, I'd reduce anytime he goes below 90. With an acrocat, you don't need to keep him in mid greens. Below renal threshold (somewhere around low 200's on the AT) is a good goal.

As today showed you, you really do need to get a test before each and every preshot to make sure it's safe to shoot. Imagine what would have happened if you had shot without testing this morning! :eek: Thank goodness you tested this morning.

Since you skipped today, the depot will be drained - the curve might not be as useful as it could be. Of course, any data is good data.

A lot of acros get arthritis. You might want to get the vet to check that out. I could feel bony growth with Neko - didn't even need an xray. Maybe it's time for Adequan?

3. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

I agree time to reduce the dose. So glad he's doing so well!

4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Cc has bony growths in her elbows. Lately is getting harder for her to walk :(. I'll give her a shot of adequan tomorrow. Maybe a little Gabapentin to take the edge off since she was limping today.

JeffJ likes this.
  5. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

Healing vines for the Acro kittehs with arthritis. Leoberry had it bad on his front elbows. And it was debilitating near the end. Acro is such a cruddy disease.

I hope Bubba and CC are feeling better this weekend. Our Acros only want to be loved.