i have a problem...glucose too low

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by mucacopatarica, Apr 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mucacopatarica

mucacopatarica Well-Known Member

ufff not good 21,4 mmol/l (385mg/dl) Should i give her 3 or 3,5 units? Yesterday we were on 3 units.

2. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

Just let me take a look through the history. back in a moment

Elizabeth and Bertie likes this.
  3. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

This is where we really need to get that spreadsheet going as soon as possible so we don't have to go back and try to find all the bits and pieces of information, Please make that a priority today and if you need help, feel free to contact me by private message and I'll set it up for you

4. mucacopatarica

Oky doky i will fill the spredsheet today. But i dont have such detailed data from previous measurements.

5. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Just do the best you can with whatever data you have...it's all useful!!

Critter Mom and Gill & George like this.
  6. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

Sara, whatever data you have is great. Just do the best you can. If you need help setting up the sheet, just ask. Meanwhile, I think a reduction is a good idea, but I'm not sure by how much. Are you able to test a lot during the next cycle?

Gill & George likes this.
  7. mucacopatarica

i have another problem. i dont know what to do next. At this step:
    4. The SS template will open to fill the screen. Once it has loaded, you will see three vertical dots in the upper right corner. Tap on this and then tap on "Share and Export". Tap on "Make a Copy". Your copy will generate and then tap the three vertical dots in the upper right corner again. At the very top, it will state "Copy of FDMB US...." or "Copy of FDMB World...". Tap on this and rename the SS (type in your kitty's name followed by the word "Spreadsheet") and then tap on "rename".
    I dont see three vertical dots in the upper right corner. There is just my account comment and share. hmmmmm...do you know what is wrong?

8. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Hi Sara.

I can't see what you see because it isn't my spreadsheet. @Marje and Gracie is our expert on spreadsheets, but she's most likely asleep right now. Hopefully she'll see this in the morning and be able to help you.

When I click on your link, I see a blank spreadsheet (meaning no BG numbers) with Tacka's name at the top. Have you tried to enter any data yet?

9. mucacopatarica

What means AMPS and PMPS? (first measurement in the morning and in the evening? U=units?

10. mucacopatarica

No i didnt try to enter any data yet. I ll try it now but i have a little problems with understanding the spreadshee. Working on that :D

11. mucacopatarica

a-a not working. Now i filled the spredsheet but i have no idea how to save it on this forum...hmmmm

12. mucacopatarica

AHA! Can you see it now?

13. Gill & George

I can see it now!
    Amps is morning pre shot
    Pmps is afternoon pre shot
    Both taken jus before insulin, and 12 hours apart.

I see you shot 3 u today, even though she is high get a +2 to make sure she is not suddenly dropping again, she may be bouncing, staying high in reaction to the lower numbers yesterday, and the bounce may take up to 6 cycles( 3 days to clear)
    In the meantime as long as she doesn't drop low try to keep the dose at 3 u lantus likes consistent dosing.

Gill

14. Gill & George

There is no dose on the 22, did you give insulin? Anytime you don't give insulin mark it as NS no sot on the ss, to avoid confusion.

15. mucacopatarica

+3 18,8 mmol/l (338mg/dl) I think i will not poke her til the evening. Usually she never drop suddenly. Her glucose level goes up and down slowly.

16. mucacopatarica

sorry it was a mistake. I gave her 3 units yesterday morning.

17. Gill & George

When the +2 is the same or lower it can be a sign that there will be an active cycle. Personally I would get a +6 in today just to be sure that she is staying flat.

One funny thing with Feline diabetes FD is that the kitties are given a manual and rule number one is to keep the human (bean) guessing;):D
    So watch out for Tacka changing the rules;) when the pancreas starts spluttering into action, all bets are of.

Good job with the ss, and keeping her surfing last night, in the end that was a nice run of healing numbers.
    :bighug::bighug:

18. mucacopatarica

Thank you! Now i am waiting for the call from Tačkas vet (i dont know why she is trying to get me) Im sure that she will not be happy that i have changed Tačkas dose.
    What it means if Tačkas pancreas started to work? What to expect in the future?

19. Gill & George

When the +2 is the same or lower it can be a sign that there will be an active cycle. Personally I would get a +6 in today just to be sure that she is staying flat.

One funny thing with Feline diabetes FD is that the kitties are given a manual and rule number one is to keep the human (bean) guessing;):D
    So watch out for Tacka changing the rules;) when the pancreas starts spluttering into action, all bets are of.

Good job with the ss, and keeping her surfing last night, in the end that was a nice run of healing numbers.
    :bighug::bighug:

Critter Mom likes this.
  20. Gill & George

One thing that is different with cats, is that their pancreas has the ability to regenerate, and unlike humans they can go into remission. As the cat spends time in better numbers, like last night, it allows the pancreas to start healing itself, and slowly (or not so slowly in some cats) it can start to produce insulin itself. So the amount of insulin needed can change, and this is where you might see her numbers dropping suddenly where previously on the same dose she might have been stable.
    Some cats can race down the dosing scale, others more slowly.
    Not all cats make it into remission, but there is a good rate of remission following the Tight Regulation protocol, you can see info for that on the sticky on the lantus forum.

In there it gives you a protocol to follow that is based on a veterinary study(there is a link there to the study), you could show your vet, and explains how to adjust dose up or down given your cats numbers. Most of us don't look to our vets for help with dosing, as usually they have very little experience with managing FD, and there people here with years of living and dealing with FD. My vet, aside from the starting dose, has had zero input on Georges dosing, she's kept up to date with his numbers, and though skeptical at first she's supportive of the forum now.

George for example was diagnosed in October 2015, started lantus Nov 2016 git up to 3u in January, and then we started seeing green and blue on spreadsheet and we have worked our way down the scale to no insulin. You can see the numbers on his SS. He wasn't too naughty, gave me time to catch my breath as he headed to his otj (of the juice) trial which he is on at the moment.

Critter Mom likes this.
  21. mucacopatarica

I peeked in Georges SS. His numbers are fantastic! Good job-im really happy for you! I think that we are now on this point where Tačs numbers began its slow decline. I like Tačs vet but she is often absent (for example: she will not work until next thursday) but other vet i think does not have so much knowlede about FD. And her vet knows what to do when her numbers are too high...but have no idea what to do when they are low. They want keep Tač on 3.5 units for whole week. And they mean that i should not test her every day. I disagree. I think that stress resulting measuring is much smaller than stress if she fall in hypo....

22. Gill & George

Ask your vet if they would give their child insulin without at least checking blood glucose before shot??? I think you know the answer to that. You doing tests at home is not stressful for your Cat, give her treats, and if she is anything likeost cats here you will find she soon reminds you when it's time to test, now that I am only testing twice a day George runs to where I test him looking for a test/treat.

I don't know about the 3.5u I would be inclined to stick to the 3u for now as that's what you shot this morning, going up and down with the dose cam make the numbers wonky, on tr if she is not getting into good numbers in 6 cycles/3 days you can look to increase by 0.25. It's best to wait at least 6 cycles because it can take that long for the dose to settle.

23. mucacopatarica

i totally agree with you. she will stay on 3 units for next few days (if numbers will be ok). Yesterday she was on 3 and masurements were fantastic. i have just one question for now: which treats you give to your George? only conditionally acceptable treats that i found were Chick n Snack (dried pieces of meat).
    Btw: +5 15.2 mmol/l

24. Gill & George

25. mucacopatarica

26. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

These seem to contain a lot of liver, and not all cats are keen on that...

These look pretty good. Low carb, though not entirely carb free. They seem to be mostly chicken or tuna with 1% rice added.

Zooplus also do their own 'Zoolove' pure dried meat cat treats, but they are quite hard/solid. My youngsters like them, but my old cats can't chew them and just spit them out....:rolleyes:

27. mucacopatarica

Hmmmm we dont have Zoolove on our Zooplus site...Tač has no teeth (because of her dental problems we gave her teath out-with surgery of course-2 years ago). Next time i will try with Almo nature....In our pet stores (we have a lot pet stores in Slovenia and i live in capital city) i cant find treats for FD. Grrrrrr

28. Gill & George

The cosma thai snacks seem to have a lot of rice in it, therefore the carb content will affect bg I would not use those as treats because of that

Just run the chicken fillet from almo raw through the nutrition calc, it comes out at 2% carb.
    Chicken thigh about 6%

I've used Almo nature, but watch out not all the varieties are the same low carb, some work out at 20% even though the ingredients don't look that different, for example the Mackrel works out at 27% carb (too high for a diabetic kitty)

The thrive freeze dried chicken/tuna treats have a different texture to the cosma snackies

Critter Mom likes this.
  29. Elizabeth and Bertie

Gosh, really? Is that 27% calories from carbs?
    Could be useful addition to a hypo kit (for a fish loving kitty....;) )...........

30. Gill & George

I know i was surprised too!! I bought them thinking they were LC then realised when it was too late, but never got a chance to use them as because BFG got done with diving about then.
    I wasn't sure if the labeling was right it sort of really surprised me, here's the label analysis as it appears on zooplus
    see what you make of it, comes out 27 with the http://scheyderweb.com/cats/catfood.html calculator
    protein 13.0 %
    fat 1.0 %
    fibre 0.1 %
    ash 2.0 %
    moisture 80.0 %
    calories that can be burned 540.0 kcal[/QUOTE]

31. mucacopatarica

32. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Great job on the spreadsheet!!!!

33. Elizabeth and Bertie

That looks pretty good! Looks like it's mostly meat with a small amount of low carb veggies. It's quite high in fat though.
    It seems to be around 3.7% calories from carbohydrates.

CALCULATING CARB VALUES IN FOOD
    http://scheyderweb.com/cats/catfood.html
    This is a very useful little tool for calculating the calories from carbs in 100g of food. You just enter the the percentages for protein, fat, ash, fibre and moisture from the cat food label.
    But we usually use the 'percentage of calories from carbs' to compare foods, so for that, you just grab a calculator and do this:
    Using figures from the Sheyderweb calculation: You divide the 'calories from carbs per 100g' by the 'total calories per 100g', and then multiply by 100. Bingo!

Or, if you want my 'basic but effective' Excel spreadsheet carb calculator just PM me your email address. :)

Last edited: Apr 23, 2016
  34. mucacopatarica

Tačka likes power of nature (i gave her 100g in the evenig for through the night but she usually eats about 50g). I have some excel spreadsheet calculator for carbs but that calculator do not calculate percentage of calories from carbs. i will PM you. Another half hour till Tačkas next measurement. I m anxious...

35. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Great news, Gill! Fingers and paws well and truly crossed in the Shire ... :nailbiting: :nailbiting: :nailbiting:

Mogs

36. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Sara, does Tacka like cooked chicken? Maybe people just boil some chicken breast and cut it up in bite-sized pieces for their kitties. You can freeze some of it and thaw it as needed. I usually cut it really small and put a little chicken broth over it when I give it to Harvey. He loves it.

Tacka looks good today, from her spreadsheet. Good job getting that up and running! :)

Critter Mom likes this.
  37. mucacopatarica

now she has 15,6mmol/l. i think i can give her 3 units. Tačka eats chicken every day (chicken breast, chicken legs-just meat from legs :D ). This is her main food. :D i give her raw meat (i just boild it till crust and than cut it up)

38. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Yes, I would go ahead with the 3.0 units.

39. mucacopatarica

+9,5 4.3??? I slept until now and she comes to me in bed (usually she comes whe she is hungry around 7.00, 8.00 (now is 6.30) So i woke up and measure....now she ate. Wi will see what happened in 2 hours when her new dose must be injected. It is posible that 3u is a little too much?

40. mucacopatarica

my bad-it was 5.30

41. mucacopatarica

42. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

With Lantus, it can take 3 to 5 DAYS at the same dose before it stabilizes in the body. This is because at the end of each 12 hours, there is still a small amount of Lantus crystallized under the skin and slowly dissolving. You may be seeing effects from previous doses.
    Also, meters may read as much as +/- 20 % from what a lab might get, so if readings are within 20% of each other, they could actually be the same.
    Looking at the spreadsheet, I'm thinking you might drop to 2.5 units and try to keep that same dose, every 12 hours, so long as the glucose stays safely above 2.8 mmol/L (50 mg/dL). This would help the depot/overlap stabilize and give you a chance to study the sticky posts in our Lantus section to learn how to use Lantus most effectively.

43. mucacopatarica

I know that take days at the same dose to stabilize but she is going to low...this has become really difficult and i am so tired right now. I slept 3 hours and i again need to measure all day lon. How others deal with that?

44. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

If you really need to sleep, skip the shot and start fresh in the morning with only 2 or 2.5 units, even if really high. We say better too high for a day than too low for a moment.

Critter Mom likes this.
  45. mucacopatarica

i ll try today...with 2.5 units and i will sleep throug day for 15-20min at the time. meantime my boyfriend will be looking after her...

46. mucacopatarica

47. Gill & George

How many hours past shot time are you?

Give him some high carb the gourmet gold with gravy couple of teaspoons of gravy and a drop of honey.
    Then test in 20minutes

48. mucacopatarica

12 hours. It s time for new shot. I dont understant at all!

49. Gill & George

OK don't shoot anything for now.

50. Gill & George

Did you double check the number right away, sometimes we get a dodgy strip, or the blood doesn't draw properly into it and we get an odd number.

51. mucacopatarica

yes i checked...3 min later afer few bits of food it was 2.00. i will measure now again..

52. mucacopatarica

OK we have 3.1 mmol/l (55mg/dl) now

53. mucacopatarica

when should i measure again?

54. Gill & George

OK 55 is good, give her a teaspoon of regular food and test in another 20 minutes.

Did you give hers some of the gravy from the gourmet gold in the end??

55. mucacopatarica

I gave her gourmet gold gravy. I will repeat the test in 20 minutes

56. Gill & George

How much gravy?

Sara, to answer your question about why is this happening. Looks like Tacka was clearing a bounce when they clear a bounce they can gather quite a lot of speed and drop like you have just seen.
    By the way she has definitely earned that reduction! Bet you are glad you decided to test before shooting, contrary to the vets recommendations.
    On the protocols and dosing method we use we would normally reduce by 0.25 u

We need to now wait for her numbers to come up to be shootable, but we need to make sure that the numbers are not influenced by the high carb food(so we wait at least2 hours)
    Options
    • wait until numbers are up and shoot, but then you will be ofschedule by 2 to 3 hours
    • if she comes up enough by +6 is to shoot two 18 hour cycles, back to back, that way you don't get of schedule and she is getting some insulin,that way she is not without insulin for too long and it will also drain the depot a little
    • skip altogether this will drain the depot, but might see her run high.
    I would like to get some more experienced people to comment on the dose, but it may take a while as they a lot of them are located in the us and are sleeping right now.

57. Gill & George

Hi sara,

I have posted a thread on the lantus forum so hopefully we will get some feedback soon.
    Waiting for that next test.

If she drops below 50 again, another couple of teaspoons of gravy.

Paws crossed that it won't be necessary.

58. mucacopatarica

What it means that she was clearing a bounce?
    She ate about two teaspoons of goutmet gold and i gave her little drop of honey. Im definitely glad that i was not following vets advice. Which option is the best?
    Btw +40min 3.5mmol/l (63) how long i must measure it on 20 min?

59. Gill & George

I'll explain about the bounce in a moment, I thought you would ask.

63 is good, no food now and test in 30 minutes.

60. Gill & George

+12 34 HC and drop of honey
    +12.3 56 LC
    +12.6 63 No food
    next test at +13

When a diabetic cat gets into numbers that are lower than their body is used to the liver 'panics' and dumps a load of glucose and counter regulatory hormones into the system to counteract the perceived low. This results in the blood sugar shooting up it can stay up for upto 6 cycles (but some kitties clear the bounce sooner)
    When they start to clear the bounce the sugars can start to drop and some cats can gather quite a lot of downward momentum, when we see a bounce breaking we want to watch, sometimes feeding a little LC when we see them dropping fast can slow the downward trend and get them level out (surf)

61. Gill & George

We will need to see what her blood glucose dose.

Getting of schedule by 3 or 4 hours can be a pain to get back to your shot time, been there, done that and it took a more thatn a week to get back on schedule.
    I would prefer the 18 hours if she is shootable, don't like to see a kitty in high numbers unnecessarily, But we need to make sure she is up enough by then.

62. mucacopatarica

is it possible that Tačkas high measurements was not the result of low dose but she experienced this bounce because of insuline overdose?

63. mucacopatarica

what means HC and LC? (high calories and low calories?) sorry i m really new here.

64. Elizabeth and Bertie

Sorry for all the jargon...
    HC = high carb food, LC = low carb food (and MC is medium carb food....)

65. mucacopatarica

OK we are going up. Im so glad...+1.10 4.0 (72)

66. mucacopatarica

Well if we gets of schedule by 4 hours that means i give her insulin dose in the middle of the night and i dont sleep at all. 18 hours seems friendlier for me and for her (if i can rest can be more focussed on management of her diabetes.

67. mucacopatarica

+1.40 4.0 (72)

68. mucacopatarica

+12 1.9 (34) test: 2.0 (36) HC (gourmet gold+drop of honey)
    +12.20 3.1 (55) LC or no C (raw chicken-her regular food)
    +12.40 3.5 (63)
    +13.10 4.0 (72)
    +13.40 4.0 (72)

69. Gill & George

Not because of insulin over dose.

• Bouncing - Bouncing is simply a natural reaction to what the cat's system perceives as a BG value that is "too low". "Too low" is relative. If a cat is used to BGs in the 200's, 300's, or higher for a long time, then even a BG that drops to 150 can trigger a "bounce". Bouncing can also be triggered if the blood glucose drops too low and/or too fast.The pancreas, then the liver, release glucogon, glycogen and counter-regulatory hormones. The end result is a dumping of "sugar" into the bloodstream to save the cat from going hypoglycemic from a perceived low. The action is often referred to as "liver panic" or "panicky liver". *Usually*, a bounce will clear kitty's system within 3 days (6 cycles).
    The nice numbers that she got into on the 4/22 may have resulted in the higher numbers you saw yesterday. It is quite normal for kitties to bounce in the beginning, some bounce more than others.

70. mucacopatarica

i thougt that higher numbers yesterday was result of reduced dose the day before (1,5 units in the evening) Its fascinating that till now for 3 months it was ok. We slowly reduced glucose...

71. Gill & George

If you are going to aim for an 18 hour cycle, then no food after +16, so you can be sure that the test at +16 is not food influence.

Looks like she is surfing now.
    Get another test at +14 (2 hours after the HC) just to be sure if she is still up, if she is still up then feed as normal if she needs her breakfast.

if she is still in the 70's then test in one hour.

If you can get a test in at +15.5 so we can see where she is at, and to have some time to get advice. That would be great.

It's good that her BG is moving downward, the aim in tight regulation is BG in the normal range for as much of the day as possible, this allows the healing process of the pancreas and the regeneration of the beta cells which produce the cat's insulin, this is what eventually, if we are lucky, can get them into remission. :D
    Normal range for cat's being 50-80 (100)

72. mucacopatarica

+12.40 3.5 (63)
    +13.10 4.0 (72)
    +13.40 4.0 (72)
    +14.00 4.7 (84)

we are going up. i have time all day to do measurments and what is necessary. Maybe i will sleep a little through day but my BF will be awake...
    What should i do next? test in at +15?

73. Gill & George

yes testing in an hours time at +15/ +15.5 would be fine, and feed her her lunch if you usually do that, as she won't be able to eat anything between +16 and +18
    If numbers are steady or rising then you would be ok to leave for a couple of hours, but if it were me I'd probably continue to test hourly if I was in the house and available. Try and get some rest.

Remember as your shot time is going to be +18 no food from +16 (I got confused above with the times)

get a test done @ +17.5 and post the results so we can see what to do about the dose, or whether it would be advisable to skip altogether.

74. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Sorry, Sara, I was away from home all evening and just checked in before going to bed. You and Tacka have been having quite a time! It looks to me like it's possible that her pancreas is healing and may be trying to produce its own insulin again. It's too early to say for sure, but you may be going down the dosing scale faster than you might have expected. You are doing a wonderful job watching over her and keeping her safe, but we need to make sure you get some rest, too.

If you do the 18 hour schedule, you shoot at +18, then at 18 hours after that, and that should put you back on schedule. So if your normal shot time is 6:00am, you'd shoot the next shot at midnight, then the next at 6pm the next day, which would get you back on schedule. Does that make sense to you? The skipping option isn't a bad idea, either, especially if she doesn't come up a lot with her BG.

It looks like Gill has a good grasp on the situation. There should be several of our East Coast US people around at your +17.5, so if you post, as Gill suggested, asking for dosing help, you should get some more input. If you can, I would suggest starting a new thread on the Lantus page at that time, with a subject line like this: "4/24 Tacka +17.5 ###(whatever her BG is). Shoot or skip?" If you can put a link to this thread in the new one, people can go back and refer to it. We prefer that people do a new thread each day, with the link to the previous one in it, because it gets too hard to scroll through all the posts on a thread that goes for several days.

Critter Mom and Gill & George like this.
  75. mucacopatarica

Oky doky! i will observe your tips and i will report about results that we get. Thank you Gill & George very much! if i could i would come to Spain right now and hug you! :bighug:

76. mucacopatarica

Hi Tricia Cinco (GA) & Harve. No biggy if you werent here i was in good hands. Thanks for new tips. I will start a new thead on the Lantus page at +17.5 and we will see what to do. Thank you-you are the best!:kiss:

77. mucacopatarica

+12.40 3.5 (63)
    +13.10 4.0 (72)
    +13.40 4.0 (72)
    +14.00 4.7 (84)
    +15.20 6.4 (115)
    i was wrong for 20 minutes ( in panic at start i lost these 20 min)

78. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Looks like Tacka is doing fine. Nice job, Sara!

79. Gill & George

Right back at you :bighug::bighug:

80. Elizabeth and Bertie

Hi Sara, if Tacka is eating a lot of chicken meat do be aware that it's not a complete food. (In the wild a cat would eat all (or most) of it's prey, including bones and organs and skin, etc). Feeding up to 20% of the diet as plain meat is fine though. :)

81. mucacopatarica

+12.40 3.5 (63)
    +13.10 4.0 (72)
    +13.40 4.0 (72)
    +14.00 4.7 (84)
    +15.20 6.4 (115)
    +16.30 (30 means minutes) 8,7 mmol/l (156mg/dl)

Tacka is eating a lot of chicken meat but i m giving her organs and a little bit fatter meat as well. I give her even powder od eggshells which are replacing bones. At the evening she gets canned food.

82. mucacopatarica

+12.40 3.5 (63)
    +13.10 4.0 (72)
    +13.40 4.0 (72)
    +14.00 4.7 (84)
    +15.20 6.4 (115)
    +16.30 8,7 mmol/l (156mg/dl)
    +17.30 11.00 mmol/l (198mg/dl)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.