Hypo situation

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Kelly and Milo, Oct 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kelly and Milo

Kelly and Milo Member

This is the first time Milo has given me these kinds of numbers. His PMPS number was 127. I decided to test before I went to bed, or at +4, and he had dropped to 42. I proceeded to feed him some low carb food since he was showing no symptoms of a hypo. I retested 5 min. later and he dropped to 29. I then pulled out the high carb food and after he ate, I retested again. His number was 34. I decided to test my civie cat and he tested at 52. I then tested myself and tested at 82. So I feel confident it is not a tester error. I then decided to feed Milo a tablespoon of corn syrup and some more high carb food. His last reading at +4.5 is 45 (which was 10 mins. ago.) I am getting ready to test again, but I was wondering how long it would take for the corn syrup to kick in.

2. Kelly and Milo

Kelly and Milo Member

Last test he was at 73, so maybe it already kicked in. Guess I will have to set my alarm to test again in an hour.

3. Miriam and Putty (GA)

Miriam and Putty (GA) Well-Known Member

The karo should bring him up but sometimes when it wears off the numbers can go down again. The corn syrup usually kicks in pretty fast. I think I would test in 30 minutes. If you have two consecutive numbers above 60 without having to use HC or corn syrup then I think it would be safe to go to bed.

4. KarenRamboConan

KarenRamboConan Senior Member Moderator

Don't be too alarmed if the morning PS is higher than usual after the syrup and the hi-carb food, just shoot as per usual, and keep an eye on him.

Nice catch!

5. Kelly and Milo

Kelly and Milo Member

Milo's AMPS was 256. I didn't give him his full .5, but only .25. I'm a big chicken I'll admit. He is acting normal this morning though, and ate all his breakfast. I will be able to come home at lunch to test him, so hopefully his number goes down, but not nearly as far as last night! I am so glad I decided to test him before I went to bed!! He is really keeping me on my toes this time around.

6. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Wow good job. Hometesting SAVES lives.
    j.

7. gingerand((calliope))(GA)

gingerand((calliope))(GA) Member

Good job and good call on the dose, this am. Looks like Milo earned a decrease in insulin with those drops. That's good news. It's always a good idea to check before going to bed. You never know where there could be some action. Milo's pancreas might be kickstarting.

8. Kelly and Milo

Kelly and Milo Member

I am thinking a dose reduction is called for as well, especially now that his numbers have dropped twice in the last 6 days on this dose. I am keeping my fingers crossed that Milo will be OTJ again very soon!!! and yes, testing does save lives!!!! I would have never known his numbers where so low because he was acting normal.

9. gingerand((calliope))(GA)

gingerand((calliope))(GA) Member

I'll cross my fingers for you, too. Maybe Milo's pancreas just needed another kick to get started again or just needs a wee bit of insulin help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.