Hyperglycemic-Why? What to do?

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Wendy 17 and Merlin, Oct 16, 2020.

1. Wendy 17 and Merlin

Wendy 17 and Merlin Member

Worried. Hyperglycemic (433 Relion), at +2hr 258). Why? What did I do wrong? What should I to now?
    He is getting a tiny amount that cannot be measured accurately. My guess is that I gave him 0.1 U and increased it to 0.15 U after his nadirs remained too high.

Should I switch to Lantus, Levimir, degludec (Tresiba)?
    @Sienne and Gabby (GA)

2. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

First, I'm a bit confused by your post. (I'm also suspecting that this is resolved since your note if from yesterday.)

Merlin's numbers were hit at AMPS -- the reading was 433. His PM cycle was lovely -- lots of lower "blue" numbers. Then, his AMPS is high. It looks to me like Merlin bounced. His liver and pancreas aren't used to those lower numbers and for most of our kitties, when numbers drop fast, drop low, or are in a range the kitty has forgotten is a good place to be, the liver and pancreas release a stored form of glucose along with counterregulatory hormone that cause the numbers to spike. It's annoying to us but not dangerous. What you're also seeing is that Merlin is, in fact, getting more accustomed to the lower numbers and the bounce cleared quickly -- he was back into the 100s by +4.

There's also another possible explanation. Did Merlin get into any contraband? Your signature says that you're allowing him some dry RC. If he had any of the dry, it may have spiked his numbers. Most of the dry RC varieties are high in carbs.

3. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

your cat drops that much on almost no insulin? 0.1 is like literally a drop.

4. Wendy 17 and Merlin

Wendy 17 and Merlin Member

Sienne, thank you for your helpful explanation. Re contraband, he drank water excessively and ate 2 meals of (hi carb) RC feline hydrolyzed protein kibbles about 24-36 hours before the reading of 433. It would have been a delayed reaction. I had left out kibbles overnight the previous night to prevent him from being hungry. Are the type of bounces and nadirs in Merlin's SS not dangerous for him? I am worried whether his losing weight despite large amounts of food is due to diabetes not allowing absorption and not giving him energy. He is so weak and lately staggers a bit when he walks. It first appeared when he went hypoglycemic 9-7-20. After that, it slowly became constant.

Please see my other post on the Main Forum where I gave more details (? Went hypo. -Dose decr - hi nadirs- to hyperglycemic). I posted both threads at the same time, not knowing who would respond fastest. Also, I do not know the proper procedure of how to post new questions that are related to previous ones.

Janet, yes. 0.1 unit is a drop and just a fraction of the lowest line on the U-40 (0.3 ml) syringe. It is not possible to be accurate since the lowest marking is for 0.5 units.