Huge Thank You to Everyone here!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Heather & Bandit, Mar 9, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Heather & Bandit

Heather & Bandit New Member

I just wanted to say a very sincere thank you to all of those who post on this site. I didn't post beyond one post I believe but I was paying attention to everyone else's. It lead me to make changes to my big boy Bandit's diet and it worked. Now it's been 3 weeks and my boy's glucose readings are consistently between 55 to 90 and my vet is thrilled. Thankfully for me I had a great vet who was open to trying different things such as adding B-12. And she was the one encouraging me to home test. I've sent her the link to this site and she was so happy to see such a community existed to help. So again a huge thank you for creating such a wonderful place for those with "sugar babies".

2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

So glad to hear good news. And great you have a good vet.
    I just looked at your SS and I don’t think you should be stopping insulin yet. I would drop the dose to 0.25 units and continue as you were. If if he drops under 90 again you reduce the dose to 0.1 and then a drop if he goes under 90 again. We can show you have to draw that up when the time comes.
    If you stop giving insulin now before the pancreas has healed properly, you run the risk of a short remission.
    By continuing the insulin until the pancreas has had a chance to heal properly, you are much more likely to get a stronger remission.
    It’s much harder to get a cat back in remission the second time around.

3. Heather & Bandit

Heather & Bandit New Member

Hi Bron, thank you for your response. This is actually Bandit's second time in remission. His first was in October that only lasted less than two weeks. Although I've not had the time to update his spread sheet I do continue to monitor his glucose at random times each day. And its steady. Yesterday it was at 3.1 (55) and I still have insulin at the ready if his numbers go above 90. I'd have no problem giving him a drop dose. What drove him out of remission the first time was putting him on Purina DM dry food. Now, on a strictly wet food diet, his glucose levels are within normal numbers. I feed him wet food 4 times a day (twice in morning/early afternoon and twice in evening) with at least one snack mid-day. It's taken this long for his pancreas to heal. I deeply appreciate the advice.

4. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Congratulations to you and Bandit! It also sounds like you have a great vet.

I'm glad we could help.

5. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

congratulations !!:D

Heather & Bandit likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.