How to wrestle a 20(ish) pound cat.....

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Finnegan, Apr 25, 2024.

1. Finnegan

Finnegan New Member

Well, the teeth are out. Roots too, since, on x-ray, he had roots without tops. Yesterday was a VERY BAD DAY for us both. But he came home and, after lots of wooziness etc, seemed good. Ate even!

I knew this would not last and that he was working off the pain meds they gave him yesterday - and I was right.

This morning.... he is hungry but won't eat. No food, no insulin, I was told. OK. Has 2 pain meds. One to go in food. Well, if he won't eat....

We have just had a session and I got both into him. Sad, when one has to cause pain in order to alleviate it. But hopefully this will help him feel better.

It'll likely be the last pain meds he gets. For all his size, he doesn't like food well enough to put anything into it. And, frankly, I rather agree with him about the other one (needs to go onto mucous membranes). He has never allowed me near his mouth and now - when that whole area has to be so desperately painful...

Anyway, sorry for the post. Just needed to 'relax' after the wrestling session with Finn. The good news is that if he is healthy and strong enough to put up that much fight......

How I wish we could tell them, in a way that they would understand, that what we are doing will help them.

2. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Have you tried grabbing him above the scruff - almost at the base of his skull -- and tilting his head back. It will cause his mouth to open and you can get a syringe with the pain med in the the cheek pocket. It's also a way to get a pill popper in between his teeth to give a pill.

3. Finnegan

Finnegan New Member

Oh trust me... Been there, done that, as they say

He is currently asleep behind the couch. I have no intention to disturb him.

Was an abandoned kitten. His first response to anything in his life is to attack. I have scars. It's as if a switch goes off in his head...

That has eased over the years, and we are more on an equal basis now.

I seriously just need to let you all know how much you have allowed me to survive. Right from the start. The food chart was amazing. The chart about cats and surgery... I sent it to my vet and it was enormously helpful

He will come out eventually. And we will go on.

Should any newbees need it... the 'Letter to Mum" saved me so many times.