? How to ‘re-normalise’ the injection once it has become a stress trigger?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Arthur Guinness & Rebecca, Jul 12, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arthur Guinness & Rebecca

Arthur Guinness & Rebecca Member

Arthur Guinness rescue cat received 17 March 2021. Adopted 22 March. Estimated to be 2yrs old.
    Neutered March 10 2021. I reported suspicions 22 march, finally Diagnosed 20 April. Dose: Vetsulin 40U twice daily 2.25units. No ketones. No urinary tract probs.

*Query: Has anyone been able to ‘re-normalise’ the injection once it has become a stress trigger?*

I had been able to easily inject Arthur without him even appearing to notice since day 1. I had even just begun to try around areas other than his scruff. His hips are still too skinny from his weightloss but I did get one into his side.
    At last vet visit concerning his skin infection, very sharp, cold, dictatorial & uppity vet thrust cone at me supposedly pre-fitted to him, to use for week to 10 days.
    I tried hand-feeding him through the cone to familiarise him with it. When I did get it on, all hell broke loose. He charged backwards dangerously smashing into everything in a panic until he kicked it off. I tried again the next day with it tighter, he still managed to rip it off with his hind legs.
    The experience has damaged our relationship as he now flinches if I go towards his shoulders, making even administering insulin a newly high-stress trigger for him.
    I had injected him no-hassle since day 1 as he ate dry kibble. He would normally hunker down and munch away oblivious.
    Now however, as soon as he feels me making a tent, he shunts sideways and away, sometimes taking the needle with him. He is making this a new habit which is very destructive. I want to be able to remedy this behavior before it becomes ingrained.
    He is too aggressive over raw meat to be near. Even though I just passed him a chunk, he’ll growl and gnaw giving me side eye and wondering where is safest to enjoy his prey.

I had recently tried to practice the cat burrito with a towel and it was not well received at all. I also don't want to get into having to confine him in order to inject him. It would be highly preferential to be able to get back to him completely ignoring the injection. He used to get excited as soon as the package came out of the fridge...

Happy to receive all ideas/ observations.

2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

So he wearing a cone because of the skin infection? Is he scratching it? Or! is it so that he won’t lick the cream off his coat?
    Has the skin infection improved at all to the point where you can to remove the cone?

Can you remove the cone before he eats so that he feels less threatened. Most cats hate cones. Backing away is typical behaviours I have found.
    I think the only way to get back to normal is to get rid of the cone or remove it during the testing, feeding, injecting routine.

3. Ann & Scatcats

Ann & Scatcats Well-Known Member

Were on the body is his skin infection?

He has survival instinct trauma. So I don't know if a body suit will be less traumatic since no one knows what others have done to him before, and harnesses, collars, body suits e.t.c should never be used as a force restrainer. But this is recovery body suits like a band aid if gauze can't be used https://www.amazon.com/Cat-Recovery-Suit-Breathable-Alternative/dp/B07QQPCGWW

Last edited: Jul 13, 2021
  4. Arthur Guinness & Rebecca

Hi Bron and dear Sheba, thanks for replying. He actually never did keep the cone on. I tried those two times to put it on nicely, with treats, yet his reaction once it was on him was so violent, he really hurt himself to get it off. It spiked his stress and sugar. It took him 30 seconds of crashing and smashing and kicking the first time to get it off and one minute the next. The cone was too long to drink or eat anyway and so I decided just to not try again.
    If I say 'No, no" gently and move his cheek away when he is trying to lick the sore, I can distract him. That has worked. The big sore if healing.

The problem is he is intelligent and his memory is strong, and he forms habits quickly, even thought habits!
    He now does not trust me around his neck because of the cone stress. Giving him insulin now is touch and go!

5. Arthur Guinness & Rebecca

Hi Ann & Scatcats - I think you hit the nail on the head - "survival instinct trauma" sounds like a real issue for him. No-one knows what happened to him before he was caught and taken to the animal charity. Thanks a million for that link - I will get one so that I will be prepared in case this arises again. BTW, Simba sounds like a tenacious fella!

6. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Can you try desensitising him by just touching him for a very short time and giving him a treat?

7. Arthur Guinness & Rebecca

Yes, thanks. I have been working on once I've given him the injection and he is still eating, I repeat the motion of making a skin fold here and there and touch his hips and where I might in the future want to administer. He is fine with that.
    The odd thing is he seems to actually be so sensitised *beneath* his skin, as the main infection was internal, that he feels the needle going in now, which he hadn't cared about before.
    I did check myself for vibes also, but I am not a stressy person and I have not changed the energy I give off around the injection, it really seems to be a change in his sensitivity and mental attitude! Even I can't ruffle his back-of-neck fur now, which was his favourite, as the skin is peeling there and very sensitive. I got a bite for that recently which was how I copped on that his skin was actually damaged and painful back there - it hadn't been visible to the naked eye because his thick fur hid the damaged skin so well.

I did try yesterday to tempt him onto my knee indoors with a treat, he really wanted it but wasn't willing to sit on my knee for it so stared and then pottered off! He will only sometimes sit on my blanketed knee after evening walks on a starry night, outdoors.

I have also been rubbing his ears every time he is slouching beside me, in preparation for eventual home testing. I'm trying to pre-normalise that!

8. Bron and Sheba (GA)

I wouldn’t touch him anywhere where he has a sore at the moment.

Thought you might like this
    upload_2021-7-13_19-26-40.jpeg

Have you seen this?

upload_2021-7-13_19-29-43.jpeg

9. Arthur Guinness & Rebecca

Indeed - I have to be careful even when he is winding around my legs not to touch the big sore. Compared to the diagram it would be right at the "flank" arrowhead.
    I copped on too late about the unseen one just above his collar, but he certainly let me know. Luckily the puncture from his tooth in my inner forearm is healing without problem.

At the mo Arthur is still skinny with little fat layer, so I'll have to stick to scruff. Had gotten just the one shot into the flank prior to the skin infection and cone episode. Side of chest may be do-able but his belly is pretty much a no-go, bunny kick general sudden-death area, unless he is already fed, half asleep and stretched out like a king! A gentle hand for a very short period of time is tolerated. Resting hand tolerated for about 5mins so far.
    IMG_6622.JPG IMG_6719.JPG

10. Arthur Guinness & Rebecca

love the kitty n dogo image, tremendously adorable!

Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.
  11. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Love the photos of Arthur Guinness…..he looks very content.
    I’m glad the bite is healing.

12. Ann & Scatcats

Ann & Scatcats Well-Known Member

Yeah. The Will To Live and Never Leave Mama and Gustav ....

13. Arthur Guinness & Rebecca

I've figured out a few things through this rough patch. Arthur is blooming clever. He anticipates and plans. I can no longer inject him over his regualar food at all. He is just too ready, even if I stroke him first to try and desensitise him, he'll wiggle off as soon as he feels the needle ( yes it is new and sharp). Now I have to mix up his food with warm water into a mush to distract him enough to inject him.
    I cant ever imagine someone looking after him for me and managing the rigmarole.

14. Arthur Guinness & Rebecca

BTW, I say that after having had to re-load the syringe three or four times because I wanted not to capitulate and tried gently over his first feed to desensitise then inject. I "successfully" got it on 3rd attempt only to realize syringe was leaking from edge of plastic. New needle, four attempts and feeling like an impending failure finally brought me to success. Stupid rollercoaster!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.