? How much psyllium husk (metamucil) to give a cat in a day?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Bandit's Mom, Jul 6, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

My civvie, Budge, seems to be straining to poop. I'm not a 100% sure. She is also pooping too little every day. Does the amount of poop reduce once you transition from dry kibble to wet food? We transitioned her in March. She does get a little Dr. Elsey's dry (as a treat) in addition to her usual low carb wet food.

I was thinking I could add plain psyllium husk to her meals, but wasn't sure how much she should be given per day? Would that make her stools less hard/difficult to pass?

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  2. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

3. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

I used it with Colin, but I can’t remember the dosage!:oops: I think @Olive & Paula uses it though

4. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

It bulks up the stool. I give as close as I can 1/3 to 1/2 capsule. For Ollie I give every 3 days, she gets pumpkin daily and cisipride to help motility to push it out. She pretty much goes everyday, but will miss a day here and there.

5. Bandit's Mom

Hi Paula, you give 1/3 to 1/2 capsule once every 3 days?

6. Olive & Paula

For Olive yes. She gets other stuff daily and so far this routine works the best. It might not work for you. You will have to try different amounts, frequency to see what works.

I started out giving daily. After awhile it was to much. At one point also used miralax.

7. Bandit's Mom

Yes, the ECID caveat applies to everything! :)

What do you mean when you say this?

8. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

mirilax has no flavor you can mix in food---I mix natural moves and mirilax in a capsule
    my 2 cents :)

9. Lalkabee

Lalkabee Member

She might need more water. Add warm water to her wet food. Does she cry when she poop or pee? did you try adding pumpkin puree? if your cat poop once everyday it should be ok

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
    Bandit's Mom likes this.
  10. Bandit's Mom

no crying when she poops or pees. i'm not a 100% sure she has any issues. she does seem like she strains to poop every now and then.

11. Olive & Paula

After awhile the daily husk and pumpkin, she started having semi solid to watery stool. So stopped pumpkin and just gave the husk. It wasn't enough though. So back to pumpkin and gave husk every other day, then every 2 days until we got it right. Also Ollie doesn't strain but she will stand in box a good 5 minutes waiting for it to come out on its own. She doesn't have the muscle contractions to move it out. That's what the cisipride is for.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.