How much food??

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Barri & Sonny, Dec 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barri & Sonny

Barri & Sonny Member

Hi all! I finally found that after much trying and trying that Sonnys food of choice is Friskies Turkey & Giblets pate. This is after taking him off $$$$ perscription DM Savory Selects and trying FF , Friskies (which he rejected at first) and finally EVO which i thought he enjoyed...he didnt after 2 weeks and went back to Friskies...he LOVES it now. Sonnys BG is fine...sometimes i shoot, sometimes i dont...home tested etc... My question is...how much Friskies should he eat in a day? He is 12 lbs, normal active indoor kitty. While on the perscription he never begged for food...now it seems like he is always hungry! Am i not feeding enough...he goes through about a can (5.5oz) a day...split into 4 meals. Thanks in advance!

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Check out this section of Cat Info By vet Dr Pierson. Feeding mini-meals helps keep the cat from getting too hungry.

"Required calories per day = [13.6 X optimal lean body weight in pounds] + 70"

3. Barri & Sonny

Barri & Sonny Member

Thank you! I do...he gets fed 4x a day (5am, 11am, 5pm, 11pm) The friskies can says something like 1oz per pound of weight (that would mean like 2.5 cans of food a day...seems like a lot!!)

4. Melanie and Smokey

Melanie and Smokey Well-Known Member

It would depend on how many calories are in the can, not all 5.5oz cans have the same calorie content. I think Friskies are usually in the 160-180 calorie range. Target calories is around 20 calories per pound to maintain. He could probably use more. Try adding 1/3-1/2 can and see how that goes. Work your way up until he's not hungry, but not getting too fat.
    Prescription food is often more fat, less protein so he could have been getting more calories in the can and feeling fuller.

5. Barri & Sonny

Barri & Sonny Member

Thank you...i never realized until i just looked it up that he should be getting around 240-260 calories...going to try giving him more...maybe that will stop the loud meowing for food at awful hours in the middle of the night!!

6. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Adding a teaspoon or two of water to each mini-meal will help him stay hydrated and feel more full.

Barri & Sonny likes this.
  7. Barri & Sonny

Barri & Sonny Member

Thank you!!! I do add some warm water to actually make the food more of a room temp since it comes out of the fridge!!

8. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

I microwave food to baby bottle temperature (ie not too hot on the inside of the wrist) and stir to ensure no hot spots, then put out when it is cooler.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.