How much D Mannose?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Becky & Baby Girl GA, Mar 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Becky & Baby Girl GA

Becky & Baby Girl GA Well-Known Member

I just ordered Baby some... I was wondering the proper amount on food & do the cats mind it? Thanks in advance! I know @Squalliesmom uses it, I think...

2. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

Lol I just asked her same question, to funny

Becky & Baby Girl GA likes this.
  3. Becky & Baby Girl GA

Too funny... thinking UTI’s-Well I’m wondering if Baby has one? Undecided on vet trip... thought I’d start some preventative, just don’t know the amt. but the bottle may tell me?!? She peed over the side of the litter box I think... but possibly not. I wasn’t home at that time so that concerns me. She also pees straight backwards (since first UTI & dx) so sometimes it does go over the side. Weird kitty!

4. Bellasmom

I hope she doesn’t, well Bella’s numbers have been crazy so I’m doing as preventive, hope she’s ok, I would tell you to watch her but I know u will

5. Becky & Baby Girl GA

How much do you put on food? @Bellasmom ? Or just sprinkle on like a seasoning? 1 tsp?

6. Becky & Baby Girl GA

I haven’t received it yet, I got the now from amazon. Should be here today or tomorrow- I’ll watch her.. not really peeing any differently in amounts or more often... thanks you sooo!!!
    @Squalliesmom maybe? Maybe someone will chime in? Trying to remember who said this or uses it... brain
    What is Bella doing? Any signs of infection?

7. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

@Becky & Baby Girl Kitty , @Bellasmom , I use about 1/16 tsp twice a day, so 1/8 tsp per day. I mix it up in his food, and I add 2 tbsp. warm water to his food, as well. When I first started him on it I used a little bit more (1/8 tsp 2x daily) but tapered it down to it's current dose. He was not having an acute attack when I started it so I never had to put him on the full treatment dose. I'm not sure what the maximum safe dose is, but this is what vetinfo.com says about it when treating an acute flare:

"The recommended dosage is of 2g or a level teaspoon, 4 times a day, one hour apart. The symptoms of feline urinary infections improve after only one day. This treatment may need to be repeated if the symptoms occur again or if they do not completely disappear after the first day."

So, as a preventative I think you'd be safe at 1/8 - 1/4 tsp 2x daily, but as with all medications or supplements, check with your vet first. :):cat::)

8. Bellasmom

No, no signs just high BG Kris had said squallies mom and Sharon 14

9. Bellasmom

Thank you so much

10. Becky & Baby Girl GA

Ok thank you! I’ll make myself a note of this. I appreciate your quick response! I’ll make sure to go slow at first to see the reaction. How does it taste? I hope ok cause Baby smells every little thing! No tricking her. Lol

Bellasmom and Squalliesmom like this.
  11. Squalliesmom

You are very welcome! :)

12. Squalliesmom

Squallie is very suspicious of anything added to his food, but he doesn't even notice the d-mannose. It has a very mildly sweet taste.

Bellasmom likes this.
  13. Becky & Baby Girl GA

Ok good! He must have a high alert sniffer like Baby. I always taste their stuff first! I want to know what’s going in my cat! Sounds nuts but I need to know! Lol

Squalliesmom and Bellasmom like this.
  14. Squalliesmom

I do, too! My kids think I'm crazy, lol!

15. Squalliesmom

BTW, humans can use d-mannose, too, if you ever find you need it!

Bellasmom likes this.
  16. Becky & Baby Girl GA

Well I’m glad I’m not the only one! My kids think that too! Lol. Yes i thought it was a human vitamin or herb. I’ll remember that if something goes wrong down there!!
    Lizzie GA was on methamazole for thyroid & boy that was a bitter pill. I smashed it up & mixed in her food... I don’t see how she ate it but she was a hungry girl!

Squalliesmom and Bellasmom like this.
  17. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Veronica & Babu-chiri Well-Known Member

Since mine are very picky as to what I put in their food and do not always eat all I put them so i can't risk they not eating it, I actually dissolve it in aprox 2ml of water and give it to them with a syringe, they don't seem to mind actually I think they kind of like it. For prevention I give them about 1/8 tsp a day on odd days

18. Becky & Baby Girl GA

Ok good & I’ll try that if she turns her nose up at it! Thank you

Bellasmom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.