? how long does lantus last

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by richb, Aug 7, 2020.

1. richb

richb New Member

just got lantus from pharmacy. 100 ml bottle. pharmacist drops on us that have to throw out after 28 days. What? That means we will spend $300/ month???. What are your experiences. plz help- wife is going nuts

2. Baer & Loki

Baer & Loki Member

Please remove the 911 tag! There’s info in the stickies about this. No, as long as Lantus is properly stored and used, most of us use the vials until they are done, or at least for 6 months.

Sonia & Leo likes this.
  3. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Bear and Loki are correct. Lantus lasts for up to 6 months in the Fridge. Store in the fridge not the door in a container.
    For next time, if you live in the US you can obtain Lantus from a Canadian pharmacy much cheaper than the US. @Chris & China (GA) can give you details

4. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

I used my first vial of Lantus for almost a year. I kept it in the fridge on the shelf (not the door, not the veggie drawer)...and it was good to the last expensive drop.

Lantus for humans is very durable and the directions/recommendations are written for humans who carry it in their purses or otherwise go thru it quickly. With our kitties we use so little (well, most of us)...and it will last far longer than the recommended date on the side of the bottle. It's kinda like groceries with the 'sell by' date...that does not me the 'safe to eat/consume' date. I personally keep shelf stable items far longer than the 'sell by' date. I rarely use that date as the date to discard canned goods, sealed jams/jellies, pasta/rice, etc. As long as it's stored properly (and yes, nuts, flours, grains are stored in the freezer) and can last for years!

You can also purchase Lantus from folks in the Supply Closet here..often some very good deals there from other members.

5. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

My vials lasted 6 months in the fridge before losing potency and tgere was still over half left. I preferred the pens which I used to the last drop.

6. AliceR

AliceR Member

How do you know when it's losing potency if you have a bouncer?

7. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

To a degree, it's experience. You'll see a nontypical trend in the numbers or the numbers get wonky. I had gotten a pen that the pharmacy assistant smashed on a counter and the insulin was damaged -- I got wonky numbers. f you see crystals or "floaties" in the insulin, it's no longer viable.

Many people prefer to buy the Lantus Solostar pens. There are 5 pens in a box and they end up being more economical than a vial. You also open only one pen at a time. I got about 2 - 3 month's use from a pen. Obviously, how long the insulin lasts depends on how large a dose your cat needs.

Sue and Luci and AliceR like this.