How dd you clean oral syringes?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by cat and sweet max, Sep 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cat and sweet max

cat and sweet max Member

I fill several 3cc syringes with Kee Kee's Lactulose/Enulose at once. When I use each one, I rinse it several times, and keep in a cup until all are used. Then I rinse them several more times, and fill the bunch again.

Lately, I've been noticing black mold in some of them. Can I take them apart and boil them to ensure they are clean before reuse? If, not how do you clean them?

I had purchsed a box of 100, and thought they'd last forever, but between syringe feeding and giving meds, the supply has dwindled.

Hugs, Headbutts, and Healing,

Cat, Sweet Max, and gang

2. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

It's not mold. It's the rubber around the end of the plunger that is starting to disintergrate. Toss those syringes and use a new one. I wouldn't use an oral syringe more than a few times.

3. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

The key is to dry them after washing. It sound like they are not drying in the cup. I have a few syringes that I have been using over a year. For me, I end up throwing them out when either the rubber plunger swells enough that it separates from the plunder rod or my dog gets to a feeding syringe before I can clean it. I never had problems with mold.

4. carolynandlatte

carolynandlatte Well-Known Member

I did what you do, but found the plungers never lasted long and made them difficult to handle.

I syringe fed w/ some 3ml syringes that came with the lactulose when I got it from the vet. There is no name on them to identify. My vet said they come with the lactulose when they order it. There is no rubber plunger, so they really do last forever. As I needed more my vet charged me a lot...$3/ each. Totally worth it tho. See if your vet knows what Im talking about. I could take a phot if you like.

The other syringe I got thru wedgewood pharmacy w/ compounded meds. They are 1ml exacta med dispenser from baxa (www.baxa.com). These have a rubber plunger, but last a very, very long time. Much longer than the average one you will get. I think a google search will help you find where to get them. May be a little more expensive, but you are probly saving $ in the end.

If you think there is mold, toss em. Not worth the risk.

5. cat and sweet max

cat and sweet max Member

I get the Lactulose at the drugstore, and come to think of it, they've never given me anything to administer the liquid with. I'll ask them tomorrow.
    I pinch pennies, and when I was syringe feeding, they seemed to last a long time. I wouldn't throw them away, until I could no longer see the lines/numbers.

Thank you all. Hope you have a good night.

Cat, Sweet Max, and gang

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.