How can I add protein?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by MaryB, May 2, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MaryB

MaryB Member

I want to be sure I’m providing adequate protein to Chloe (of course my other babies too).
    I was reading Dr Lisa’s post on food transition and saw the photos about monitoring the top line and backbone area for protein malnutrition when they’re losing weight. I did actually notice this a bit with my one who is trying to lose weight. How can I add more protein but not too many calories?
    She suggested I think the equation of 13.6 x weight + 70 to get calorie needs. What are the protein needs?
    I should probably get a good scale! :(

2. Teetee (UK)

Teetee (UK) Member

Egg whites are a great source of protein plus they are low calories and low in phosphorus, just add about a half a mashed boiled egg white a day to Chloe's food daily or just see is she will eat it freely, mine does. If she not too keen with it in her food try egg white powder.

MaryB likes this.
  3. MaryB

MaryB Member

Hi! Wow! I never would have guessed cats liked eggs! Chloe loves cheese I’ve never tried eggs.
    Where do you find powder?

4. Teetee (UK)

Teetee (UK) Member

Hi Mary, i don't know where you are located but i use the Dr Oetker egg white powder just bought at the supermarket.
    If you do use egg white powder make sure it's just egg white powder with nothing added.

MaryB likes this.
  5. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

I used to give Sheba 1/2 a cooked egg white a day to add protein and not too much phosphorus. I used to mash it with a fork and mix into the food. I feed my current cats with 1/2 a raw egg yoke each twice a week. The yoke is full of nutrients and is great as long as your kitty doesn’t need low phosphorus because of kidney issues. My Harry loves to eat egg raw or cooked. I don’t feed raw egg white though as it stops the absorption of some of the B vitamins.
    Some cooked chicken breast is also good to add protein.

MaryB and Teetee (UK) like this.
  6. MaryB

MaryB Member

thank you for replying.
    I’m in the US (Florida)… I don’t think it’s available :(

7. MaryB

MaryB Member

Hi,
    Thanks so much for replying!
    I’m going to give the eggs a try. I never knew :)
    I thought about chicken but I wasn’t sure if they would eat it. They do like the freeze dried salmon and chicken, but it’s very expensive!

8. Teetee (UK)

Teetee (UK) Member

Not to worry, boiled egg whites are a lot less expensive than powder anyway.
    All you need to do is boil a couple of eggs and keep them in the fridge and that's two days worth for Chloe.

MaryB likes this.
  9. MaryB

MaryB Member

Great! I have some already at home :)
    Sounds like eggs are a popular add in! @Bron and Sheba (GA) suggested also :) thanks very much. I hope it goes well!!

Teetee (UK) likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.