? Horner's Syndrome

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Alexis & Nikki (GA), Sep 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alexis & Nikki (GA)

Alexis & Nikki (GA) Member

Hi all, shortly after I lost my sugar cat in June, I noticed that my civvie's purr sounded more rattley than normal. About a month later I noticed that one pupil was often larger than the other. By the time she saw the vet her third eyelid was protruding. Her vet dx'ed with Horner's idiopathic. Her bloodwork was normal.

It's two weeks later and she showed a marked lack of interest in food suddenly. I took her in yesterday and vet said that she had an infection due to severe dental disease. We're treating with Onsior for pain and clindamycin for infection.

Vet suggested a CT scan to look for a nasal polyp but due to price I'm wondering if it's just better to do a visual examination first. Anyone have any experience with this type of thing? She's swallowing a lot and gurgles when she swallows. I heard the 'hork' threat clearing over the weekend but that seems to have stopped. Not really sure what next steps should be at this point.

It's killing me that I had to let Nikki go not even two months ago and now have a much younger cat that I can't seem to help. :blackeye:

2. Phoebes (GA)

Phoebes (GA) Well-Known Member

:bighug::bighug::bighug: no knowledge, just support, so sorry for your loss!!! I hope Nikkis love and light in this world helps you in the darker days. Fly free little onecat_wings>o

3. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

I have no experience with this but I am sending prayers....

4. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

What is the vet recommending for the dental disease?

5. Alexis & Nikki (GA)

I have a dental scheduled for 9/25. She needs a cleaning at the very least. Vet suggested CT prior to dental A) to definitely know if there is a polyp so it could be removed at same time as cleaning and B) be sure she's ok candidate for anesthesia and dental in case there is other issue going on.

I'm inclined to have them just go in for dental and do exam for polyp at same time. Then only go CT route if they can't find a reason for her discomfort and Horner's. I'm wondering if infection got big enough to affect nerves around her face, causing the Horner's.

Squalliesmom likes this.
  6. Waheeda

Waheeda Well-Known Member

Hi,
    My civvie had Horner's before and it's due to ear infection. Gave ear drops for a while and one day her pupil became normal again.

7. Sue484

Sue484 Well-Known Member

My Frankie (and his brother Teddy too) had a nasopharyngeal polyp when he was a kitten. It was so large it could be seen down the back of his throat. He used to choke and gag when eating and sometimes just choke for no reason. It was removed and it damaged some nerves and it gave him Horners. His pupil was larger (or smaller, I can't remember which) and his third eyelid was clearly visible. It needs no treatment and went on it's own after a month when the nerve damage healed. You wouldn't necessarily see a polyp while it is small. If it is a polyp it can't be removed until it is large (they tried once before with Frankie and failed).

8. Alexis & Nikki (GA)

I've got a consult with Cornell in Stamford for Tuesday. I'm really hoping they can manage to diagnose whatever is causing the Horner's and her swallowing issues.

Squalliesmom likes this.
  9. Alexis & Nikki (GA)

Dropped Dee off for iv fluids and ABs today. She hasn't been eating enough to take ABs at home. Good news is that her gums looked much less inflamed. Bad news is, we still don't know what's causing the Horner's and her swallowing issues.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.