High lymphocytes

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by MeganEvans, Jan 19, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MeganEvans

MeganEvans New Member

Hi - My boy Conner hasn't been feeling so well for a couple of weeks & back at the end of December we took him into the vet to get checked out. He is 17 and already has diabetes & stage 2 kidney disease along with a Megacolon....I know it's a lot! At that time bloodwork didn't really show anything too concerning. Vet recommended giving him some Prilosec, which we did for 8 days. He seemed to perk up a bit but really didn't want to take the pill which we crushed up and put in water/tuna juice. We did start to syringe it into his mouth in order to get him to take it. Last week he seemed like he again felt unwell and didn't really have interest in eating and didn't have a bowel movement for 5 days (he wasn't really eating too much during that time) so we took him back in yesterday thinking he had another issue with his megacolon and would need an enema. Vet calls yesterday and say his lymphocytes are considerably higher and he wanted to send it out to the lab. Today he calls and says that he is pretty sure it's either acute leukemia or lymphoma. At end of December his absolute Lymphocytes were 1905 and on Monday they were 35,000. Just wondering if anyone out there has any experience with high lymphocytes and whether it could be anything else? I need to call some oncologists that he gave me and see if anyone can even see him. Of course they mentioned the possibility of chemo--has anyone gone through that with an older cat?? Any tips, thoughts? Just taking a stab in the dark to try and gather as much info as I can so that I feel like I'm making an informed decision.

2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

I’m so sorry you are having to deal with this for Connor.
    I am going to tag @Marje and Gracie as she is great with lab results.

3. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

4. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

There are many types of lymphoma and that also means different types of treatment. So the first step is narrowing down what you are dealing with. My only knowledge is small cell lymphoma of the GI system. It is treated with a fairly mild chemo that is quite easily treated. A good anti nausea med like ondansetron is really helpful.

Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.
  5. MeganEvans

MeganEvans New Member

Thank you for your kind words & helpful links.....it's all so overwhelming and scary when you are trying to figure out what is wrong with your furbaby and what the best steps to take are. It just seemed odd to me that they would go up so quickly in about 20 days. I'll attach both batches of bloodwork if I can figure out how to attach them. :) For some reason when I click on "upload a file", it tells me I don't have permission to biew that page or perform that action.

6. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Megan,

If you look on Conner's spreadsheet, you'll see a tab that says "LABS". It's an ideal place to record Conner's test results so that you can compare them over time, and it also makes it really easy for other members to access them any time you need that type of help and hopefully be able to give you feedback.

If you do use the LABS sheet, it would be really helpful if you could colour the text of any readings outside the normal ranges in red. Click on a cell you want to change, then click on the text colour icon at the top of the sheet to change the colour to red. Repeat for each out-of-range value.

upload_2021-1-20_14-28-28.png

Mogs

7. MeganEvans

MeganEvans New Member

I didn't even know that was there. I opened his spreadsheet but it doesn't appear that I can actually type anything in the cells like I used to be able. Tried updating Google Chrome as a fix but it still didn't work.
    Any ideas?

8. MeganEvans

MeganEvans New Member

Figured it out & updated with some of his bloodwork. On all his bloodwork it appears his PrecisionPSL has been high so I added that line item.
    Thanks for the help!!

Critter Mom likes this.
  9. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Great job, Megan. :)

It's better to put lab results into the spreadsheet because it means that, no matter what thread you post in going forward, members replying to you will be able to check them if they need to. If pics of the labs are posted then they're only available in the thread where they were uploaded.

Mogs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.