High +2 test tonight??

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Howiesmom, Sep 7, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Howiesmom

Howiesmom Member

I’m still trying to get the hang of what to do while I lower Howie’s dosage overall. Today I increased him to 3.25 units (from 3 units) and he stayed in low 300s most of the day (dipped below 300 at +8 and +10). He was at 345 for his PMPS and I just tested him again at +2 before his mini meal and he is at 384. This is the 2nd highest reading I’ve ever taken. If his AMPS is high again tomorrow (above 350??) do I leave him at 3.25 or go up to 3.5 Units? I just don’t know when I should go higher or leave him to settle into this new dosage as this 384 test scares me! I know you don’t base dosage off of the preshot #s but is there an instance where you do make a change if it is too high? I keep rereading the instructions. I will get +3 before I go to bed tonight but need to sleep so can’t get up to get his nadir tonight. I also have to go back to work tomorrow so won’t be home at all to do any midcycle tests until probably between +8 or +9. Thanks! My confidence is waning as he keeps bouncing As I was so used to him always in the 200s. Luckily he is eating fine.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2020
  2. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Keep him at 3.25u. Meters are allowed up to a 20% meter variance between tests. 345 and 384 are essentially the same number. Some cats also need time to adjust to the new dose, so don't rush it. :p

Howiesmom likes this.
  3. Howiesmom

Howiesmom Member

THANKS! If he doesn’t have any improvements on/by Wednesday, is that when I would go up to 3.5? That would be 6 cycles. I see some instructions say to wait a week and some say 3-6 cycles. I won’t be able to get a nadir again until I work at home on Thursday.

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  4. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

There are two different dosing methods for Prozinc: Start Low, Go Slow, and Modified Prozinc Method. SLGS has you waiting a week between increases and reductions are earned when BG drops below 90. MPM has you waiting 3 days/6 cycles between increase, reductions are earned below 50, no dry is allowed, and you must get at least 1-2 mid-cycles tests in every cycle. MPM is more aggressive and therefore stricter on the rules, to keep the cat safe from hypos. It keeps the cat in better numbers for longer as well.

Here is the sticky on both dosing methods.

Normally I don't like to increase if I can't be there to monitor that particular day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.