Hi everyone yes another Newbie needing advice ( Insulin /CKD / & Diabetes) :-)

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by eyeluvfurbabies, Jul 16, 2023.

1. eyeluvfurbabies

eyeluvfurbabies New Member

Hello Everyone,

Diabetes Newbie here :)

A little bit about myself, I have been through many cats (I had 8 cats at one time litter mates / all around the same age/ few years apart) they became geriatric and went though various diseases (IBD LYMPHOMA,THYROID, INOPERABLE STOMACH CANCER, KIDNEY DISEASE, LIVER CANCER) I feel I have been through it all. I have no problem giving pills, syringes of liquid in their mouth, Sub Q fluids under the skin, various tips and tricks to get the sick to eat etc. I try my best with holistic supplements & traditional medicine. I listen to my vets then run home and do my own do diligence and extensive research. Tanya's CRF website was a savior through many of them and something I referenced often. I am down to my last 2 out of the 8. Sadly one has IBD and Lymphoma and My other one (picture on my avatar) was just diagnosed with a UTI, Diabetes, and again the dreaded Kidney Disease. Sigh....... Her name is Pretty. That picture was taken last August when she was 19 years old. She just turned 20 in May and was doing great (or so I thought) eating, mushing us, running around, then I noticed she started looking skinnier, drinking more and fur looking a little unkempt. (I also JUST lost my 15 year old dog to kidney cancer / disease a month ago :-( ugh) I said to my husband oh no I think she has kidney disease. We know after all these animals the signs. I made a appointment right away and yayyyy :-( I was right!! :-( but then, what???!!!! Diabetes too!! Nooooooooo!!!!
    So I started reading this forum and have learned alot (THANK YOU EVERYONE) BUT now everything I know about eating / food with CKD (or lack there of because of Nausea, etc etc) that goes on with the dreaded kidney disease including eating low carb blah blah blah is different with Diabetes. I am now a bit overwhelmed and quite frankly crushed.

My Vet recommended VETSULIN 1 unit 2x's a day U 40 29 gauge needles 0.3 and a Alpha track. After reading this forum I realize VETSULIN is not the greatest choice. It is short acting. My concern is with this Kidney disease sometimes she is finicky now and I have to try different foods and tricks and pills to get her to eat and I know she DEFINITELY will be even more finicky as it progresses. (she is stage 3) Prior she would eat 2x's a day sometimes 3. I would think maybe a long acting one would be better?

I need some seasoned opinions / advice / point me in the right direction / and / or links to read on what to order and from where. I will call the vet and discuss further with some info you suggest. Her appointment was 4 days ago, time just keeps ticking and I am in full blown out panic mode with the delay of all my research I had to do because I don't feel confident in my vet's order list.

A side note, thankfully She does seem alot better with the Sub Q fluids everyday and a antibiotic for the UTI.

I will attempt upload her labs / urine report somehow. (Not sure how to do that yet since I am a newbie) There are 3 pages. I live in New York if that matters with ordering supplies.

I cannot thank you enough to everyone that answers and replies to this.
    Like I said I am in full out panic mode :-( :-( :-( Hellp!!!!!!!

2. eyeluvfurbabies

eyeluvfurbabies New Member

Her lab reports

Thank you!!

Attached Files:

3. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Sorry you didn't get a reply here sooner, it tends to be lower traffic and I've been away for personal stuff.

So, take a breath! The CKD/FD combo is not all that scary, and it's manageable. Lot of people here with these cats. But yes, definitely want a long acting insulin like Lantus or it's genetics. Those are U100 insulins, so you would need new syringes.

The easiest way to put it is that most of the time, especially stage 3+, the way FD and CKD intertwine makes blood sugar fairly unstable and a little unpredictable. Vetsulin is much less forgiving...it can hit hard and fast, and if kitty is having an off-appetite day, its a recipe for trouble. Lantus/generics are much more gentle and forgiving 99% of the time.

You will want to give any fluids either (a) in separation location from the insulin and/or (b) spaced out from the insulin by about 2 hours.

Since you've been through the site already - do you plan to home test? It would also help if you set up a signature as well, and a spreadsheet. If you are transitioning to low carb food, you really will want to be testing first and transitioning slowly, as some cats see significant reduction in BG from diet change alone.