GA Help!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sweety, Mar 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sweety

Sweety New Member

Hello! My cat Sweety is about 12 years old and has been having problems lately. She wasn't eating or using the litter box for a few days and she was very lethargic so we brought her to the vet. He said that she was constipation. He IV'd her fluids and gave her an enema. Since the enema she hasn't used the bathroom much and she still isn't eating. She still seems as tired as she was before. The vet is closed today and we don't have money to bring her to the emergency hospital, please help!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2016
    Reason for edit: Removed 911 & added GA prefix. Fly free little Sweety...
  2. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

1. Is Sweety drinking at all?

2. Is Sweety eating anything at all? How much/little?

3. Do you have any ketone test strips at home?

3. Critter Mom

4. Is Sweety peeing OK and has she had any bowel movements since the enema?

4. Sweety

Sweety New Member

1. She only drinks when we bring the water bowl to her, but she does drink a lot(and she falls asleep in the water)
    2. She isn't eating anthing. (I have been putting baby food on her mouth so she has been licking it off.) I've tried her regular wet and dry food, tuna and the baby food.
    3. No I don't have any ketone strips.
    4. She does pee. (She walks up to the litter box and then pees next to it) and she's had a little bit of bowel movements since the enema but it was mostly just liquid.

5. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

The enema likely cleaned Sweety out and it would not be unusual to not defecate for a day or two or even more.
    However, the not eating is bad. I would syringe feed now.
    When was the lat time you gave insulin? What type and how much?
    If Sweety is diabetc am I correct that y do not take GB reading at home?

6. Critter Mom

Hi again.

Sorry for delay in getting back to you. You've done the right thing to try to get some calories into Sweety but I agree with Larry that you need to get some food into Sweety by syringe - or even see if she will eat mushed up food from your hand.

I strongly, strongly recommend that you get to a pharmacy as soon as possible today to pick up some urine test strips and check Sweety's urine for ketones as a matter of great urgency. If she is producing ketones she will need veterinary help as soon as possible.

Per Larry's request can you let us know the answers to the questions about whether Sweety is diabetic and whether she is on insulin? (Doesn't matter whether or not she's diabetic - we'll do all we can to help you both; we just need to know if we're dealing with diabetes and insulin issues as well as the lack of appetite. :bighug: )

Mogs

7. Sweety

Sweety New Member

Sweety is not a diabetic. I will run out to the store to start syringe feeding her. What should I feed her and how should I prepare the food? And I also forgot to add that she received an antibiotic thru fluids and the vet also gave her an oral antibiotic (don't remember what kind.)

8. Ferndoc

Ferndoc Member

You can blend regular cat food with water into a soup like consistency.

9. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Here is a recommended video on assist feeding via syringe. Since she hasn't eaten in a while, I would do small amounts every hour or so. You do not want to syringe the food straight down the throat, but put it in the side of the mouth like the video says.

Critter Mom likes this.
  10. Critter Mom

It is a relief to know that Sweety isn't diabetic: that makes a positive difference. I'd still suggest getting the ketone strips to test her urine as a precaution.

You might want to try getting some plain meat baby food to try to tempt her to eat. You need to make sure it's the plain meat/broth type - it must NOT have any garlic or onions or other stuff. If you pick some up and aren't sure if it's OK you can post the list of ingredients here when you get back and we can check it over for you.

Her hovering over the water dish might be a sign that she is nauseated. Is there an emergency vet number you could call to see if it's OK to give her a cat-sized dose of famotidine (Pepcid AC)? It can help with nausea due to excess stomach acid but YOU NEED TO CHECK WITH A VET before giving her any medications. We are lay people here and can only suggest things for you to discuss with Sweety's vet.

Will check back again in a while. I need to see to my own girl.

Saying a prayer that Sooty will start eating ASAP.

:bighug:

Mogs

jayla-n-Drevon likes this.
  11. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Antibiotics are notorious for causing stomach/GI upsets. Probiotics, such as a teaspoon of plain yogurt with active cultures (if not dairy sensitive), or Forti Flora (online or from vets) help restore normal/good bacteria in the gut, which may help with any nausea or other GI upset.

Critter Mom likes this.
  12. Sweety

Sweety New Member

Hey guys! I called a family friend that was a vet a few years ago and she said it may be kidney failure :arghh: she will be going to the vet tomorrow. I gave her food through the syringe but since then she still is sitting on the floor. I hope my poor little Sweety is okay. She sill has yet to use the bathroom. I'm so sad and scared about tomorrow.

13. Carol and Rosie (Beaka)

Carol and Rosie (Beaka) Member

Oh dear, I do hope she will be okay. I know you will spend the night worrying but you won't be alone, you may have seen my thread and I am worrying about my Rosie's blood glucose levels and may also need a trip to the vet tomorrow! I'll keep you in me thoughts xx

14. Critter Mom

If Sweety were to be diagnosed with renal insufficiency then you need to know about Tanya's Site. Perhaps have a read through of the home page tonight. Depending on the CKD stage there is a lot that can be done to make a cat feel better. Also read through the page about nausea and appetite problems and the treatments available. It would be a good idea to print out the nausea treatments section so that you can discuss treatments with your vet. If it is nausea that needs to be addressed Cerenia can help fairly quickly but ondansetron may be a better med for the longer term. Ondansetron may take a little time to take effect but the Cerenia might bridge the gap. If stomach acid is a problem then famotidine (Pepcid AC) can help with that. You may also want to talk to the vet about an appetite stimulant for Sweety. Cyproheptadine is much gentler than mirtazapine and it doesn't carry the risk of inducing serontonin syndrome.

Saying a prayer that your vet will be able to help Sweety feel better tomorrow.

:bighug:

Mogs

15. Sweety

Sweety New Member

I just want to let everyone know that Sweety passed around all of the people she loved. She's no longer suffering and she'll forever be in my heart.

16. Critter Mom

Oh, I am terribly sorry to hear this sad news. My heart goes out to you ...

:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

17. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

I am so sorry to hear this. My heart aches for you. I'm glad she was with you and all her loved ones, and I hope you find peace in knowing she is out of pain, and waiting for you at the Rainbow Bridge.

Fly free, beloved Sweety cat_wings>o

18. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

So sorry to hear it was Sweety's time to leave you

Fly free Sweety and land softly....there are many at the Bridge to welcome you and keep you company until the ones you love most come to be with you forever cat_wings>o

Send your mama a sign that you're safe, healthy again and happy!

19. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.