? Help! What do I do with bad Keto-Diastix result?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Jenny and Comet (GA), Sep 7, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jenny and Comet (GA)

Jenny and Comet (GA) Member

He just peed, I dipped the stick, and the glucose part turned dark brown. This is bad, I have never seen it this bad. What do I do? What does he need? Do I run to the emergency hospital?
    He ate about an hour ago, if that helps, and had half a unit after as per the emergency nurse at the clinic.. Earlier tests today were not extreme.

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  2. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

Did you check at the required time set on the box of keto sticks?
    If you wait too long, the stick goes darker.

3. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

What was the colour on the strips for the earlier tests?

It's a good idea to take a quick photo on your phone when you check the strip after the allotted time.

4. Jenny and Comet (GA)

Red, it was light green before. I set the stopwatch on my phone and kept eyeing it. I then retested just to be sure. I took a photo of the second dark brown one.

I called the emergency nurse at the clinic. She asked me some questions, and to look at his gums. He resisted vigorously, which she said was a good sign. He then wandered into the kitchen and sat down to wash a foot. She said that she'd write a note for his doctor but that I didn't need to rush him anywhere. He is now sitting on my lap purring. If he pees again, I am to test and call her with the results. The last time he peed prior to this was around 6:30, so I am not optimistic that the next time will be anytime soon.

5. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Did you test the ketones part too? That part is a visit to the ER if it goes dark.

Have you ever though of home testing his blood sugars?

I'm going to remove the 911 - high blood sugar is not a medical emergency like low blood sugar is.

6. Jenny and Comet (GA)

Yes, ketones were negative, thank goodness. Wendy, I apologize for using the 911 flag incorrectly, I panicked. I do want to learn to home test. I feel like I am flying blind and don't understand enough without that knowledge.

7. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

No worries, we just like to remove the 911 once we know it's not an emergency. It draws a lot of concern to see it.

People don't typically post in the Lantus forum until they are home testing and have their spreadsheet up and running. They usually stick to Feline Health until then. Here is a post on home testing, with lots of videos, that might help. Hometesting Links and Tips - includes numerous links, instructions, pictures, & videos. Do you have a blood glucose meter yet?

You are right, once you get blood sugar data, it can help give you a lot of comfort and control.

8. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Blood testing isn't as hard as you think. I was supposed nervous to start it. Even after I got the meter it just say for a couple of weeks. And once you start out takes a week or so usually to get consistent tests. It's totally worth the effort. I have a video in my signature showing how I test my cat CC at home

9. Jenny and Comet (GA)

Thank you, I will watch it. Our regular vet is back tomorrow, thank goodness, so I want to talk everything over with him. He's known Comet since he was a kitten and has had a good handle on him. The new practice I had to take him to when this all began as his regular vet was out of town does not have the best follow through and it makes nervous me even more nervous.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.