Help- tuna good or bad

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Gill & Mac (UK), Sep 4, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gill & Mac (UK)

Gill & Mac (UK) Member

Help please - I was planning to use tuna (the canned in spring water type) as a tasty treat to bribe\reward my cat at injection or BG test. Just a teaspoon worth each time so 7 times in 12 hours on a full curve day.
    But then I read an article on here about persuading your cat to eat which suggests tuna is bad for cats. So now I am confused and unsure if this will hurt my kitty but they make tuna cat fiood. Is it just raw tuna they mean to avoid (sorry I couldn't get the link to uoload
    Can anyone advise please?

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  2. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

Was this what you read?
    poor a little water from tuna in water over food ( I use low sodium/no sodium added as other kinds in water has veg. broth in it and I assume that means onions, which are toxic to cats-- check labels)

3. Gill & Mac (UK)

Gill & Mac (UK) Member

4. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

I once knew a cat that had to be rushed to a veterinary school hospital because it ate only tuna. You are not feeding tuna exclusively.
    A teaspoon worth x 7 per 12 hours. How much does it add up to?
    If you are worried, see if there is another type of treat your cat might go for. You could try freeze-dried treats (no carbs). Morsels of plain poached chicken (no carbs). Half a teaspoon of tuna. Rover was a turkey junkie. He'd do anything for a piece.

5. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Tuna/fish isn't bad as a treat. Dr. Lisa Pierson doesn't recommend fish regularly though.

Panic liked PureBites (chicken and turkey varieties) but they got expensive since I gave them generously. I instead started buying plain chicken, baking it, and pulling it into little treat-sized pieces. Freeze most of it, put a couple day's worth in a teeny plastic container in the fridge. She loved them.

6. Diana&Tom

Diana&Tom Well-Known Member

Tuna is fine as a treat, in small quantities. Cats do love it - it’s often used to encourage cats to eat if they’re off their food, just a little on top of their normal food (even just the water) can be enough to get them eating. As others have said though, it’s not good to feed in quantity and apart from anything else, you don’t want a kitty to get addicted to it and eat nothing else. It’s not a complete food. So I’d say use it sparingly - for treats or to tickle the tastebuds when necessary - but alternate it with other options.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.