Help! So overwhelmed

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Kandi and Oliver, Oct 20, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kandi and Oliver

Kandi and Oliver Member

Hi guys! The more I read these threads and search online, the more questions I have! After my cat, Oliver, got his blood test done yesterday and the vet called to let me know he had diabetes, only the one vet tech was left in the office when I was able to pick him up. She gave me a really quick rundown on how to give the insulin shot and that’s about it. I’m realizing it’s soo much more! They said nothing about testing levels at home etc. Eek. I have a few initial questions. For one, can I give a syrup swab in Oliver’s gums if he becomes extra tired seeming but am not sure it’s hypoglycemia? Also can I do that if it’s nearing time for his second dose of insulin? I love my boy so so much and this is so much less important than him of course, but I had a weekend trip out of state this weekend. Should I cancel or would it be safe to have my parents keep him if I teach my mom how to give him the insulin shots? I will only be gone two full days but I know she won’t be home the entire time during the day to monitor him but could check every few hours I’m sure. This might sound silly, but I really just have no idea. If I have to miss my trip, I have to miss my trip but I just am lost on what is the right/reasonable thing to do. Okay this will be enough to get my started. :) Oh. Last thing, The vet has me on a combo of prescribed dry food and wet food. I have read on here though to avoid all dry food. Should I be giving him wet food only and how do you guys arrange feedings as the wet food could go bad being left out right? And the vet said to let him graze throughout the day? This is so much and I’m trying to stay strong and not be overwhelmed but I’m sad for my boy and there’s so much to learn and I’m afraid I’ll do something wrong. Also I do have an appointment to go in beginning of next week to have him tested at Dr request. Thank you guys!

2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

I saw you posted a second post, so I'll reply there. Don't be scared, we can help.

Critter Mom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.