? Help please -- ketones 0.4mmol/L

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Alana & Fatty, Feb 27, 2021.

1. Alana & Fatty

Alana & Fatty Member

Hi folks,

My dear cat Fatty and I have had a majorly hard time managing his BG since a high-carb renal food experiment/mess. He's transitioning off it but his BGS are still high. Wondering -- I used to use the dipstick ketone sticks, but have recently started using a FreeStyle Precision Neo ketone tester that checks for blood ketones.

We just got a reading of 0.4mmol/L. I've only been doing this for a few days but in the past his readings have been usually 0.1mmol/L. Any thoughts? The paper insert in the meter says under 0.6mmol/L is normal but I can't find what's okay for cats. He's at 1.75h after insulin and his BG is 25.4mmol/L or 457 mg/dL.

He has been eating well (last meal was 1.75h ago) and otherwise seems fine, maybe a bit lethargic, but he's been battling high BGs and CKD and panc for 6 weeks so nothing that seems alarming, though I am watching him like a hawk now.

2. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

3. Shelley & Jess

Shelley & Jess Member

Deb & Wink and Alana & Fatty like this.
  4. Alana & Fatty

Alana & Fatty Member

You are so helpful, thank you!

I would like to redirect the $427 I spent last night to the members of this forum for providing more useful information than the emergency vet clinic did. Now just to figure out how freaking low he is going to go today ................. looks exciting so far (gulp).

Deb & Wink, FrostD and Shelley & Jess like this.
  5. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

You need all your moola to take care of Sir Fats right now.

There used to be a link at the top of the message board, that let you use the Amazon affiliate link whenever you shop there. But it's disappeared now.
    Not sure how else we can contribute to the FDMB these days. Maybe @Marje and Gracie knows of a way to help this group.

6. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

That is very kind of you. There is a donation button at the bottom of this page. Thank you so much.

7. Alana & Fatty

Alana & Fatty Member

I am thankful it's tax refund season because my kitty emergency fund is pretty bare after last night and all this ongoing excitement since January! I've started calling Fats the Million Dollar Man ... affectionately, of course. The Amazon affiliate link would be great, if it still exists.

I'm not sure if he's bouncing or if the 1tsp of 40% carb and 3 40% carb kibbles at +3.75 to slow his speedy drop was enough to shoot him up. I'm thinking the insulin is fine and maybe he is just incredibly sensitive to that HC food. Almost PMPS time and insulin so hopefully I can get him down a bit.

Deb & Wink likes this.
  8. Alana & Fatty

Alana & Fatty Member

Oh whoops, posted at the same time. I will have to wait about a week or so but thank you for that link!