Help! Monkey's BG unstable

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by PH&MonkeyPenPenFaFaTiger, Feb 1, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PH&MonkeyPenPenFaFaTiger

PH&MonkeyPenPenFaFaTiger Member

Long story short,

Recently Monkey BG has been very high, Lantus 3.0 U

Last year my life was hectic and neglect to closely monitoring Monkey's BG. After last Oct, as you can see in 2020's SS, we still monitor Monkey's BG but did not input the data (no data from last Oct to this Jan). Monkey's BG became a bit unstable for few months and in this period, we gradually increase his insulin.

Help! What to do now? My Mom is the one who monitors him, and now I ask her to monitor him every 2 hours, or at least +4 or +5. I also want her to do a urine ketone test. I suspect one of the causes of instability is that she don't feed Monkey regularly and she is being not super accurate in giving the dose to Monkey due to her careless personality. Currently, I am not living with Monkey and this makes me worry.

Luckily, Monkey is showing healthy behaviors such as socializing and playing with toys, he eats a lot and is heavy(11 lb), he seems to be recovered almost completely from neuropathy. One thing that worries me is that he drinks a massive amount of water.

@jt and trouble (GA) @Bron and Sheba (GA) @Nan & Amber (GA)

2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Hi... You need to open the view permissions for the 2021 spreadsheet

3. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

I can’t see the spreadsheet either Peter

4. PH&MonkeyPenPenFaFaTiger

Hi guys, I have published my spreadsheet.

5. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Peter I still can’t see the 2021 SS. I’ll ask @Bandit's Mom to have a look at it. She will probably want you to send a PM to her so can you keep an eye out for her reply to you.?

6. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Peter, you need to share the SS for anyone to be able to see it. At If you're using a PC/laptop at the top right corner of the SS there is a green box that says Share. Click on that and change the permission to "Anyone with the link" can view the SS

upload_2021-2-2_14-15-41.png

7. PH&MonkeyPenPenFaFaTiger

Thanks, I updated the link now, please see.

8. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

Yup. Can see it now. :)

9. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

It doesn't appear that the spreadsheet is current. I can only see up to Oct. 5, 2020.

10. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

11. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

@Dyana - I was looking for a 2021 tab.

Peter -

I honestly think you need to get more than an AMPS and a PMPS in order to tell what's happening with Monkey's numbers. Lantus dosing is based on the nadir, not on the pre-shot numbers. There's no way to know if those higher numbers are the result of Monkey dropping into low numbers and then bouncing.

12. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Since it looks like he's coming down from a bounce, can you get some tests tonight, starting with a +2?

13. PH&MonkeyPenPenFaFaTiger

Sure, I will try to get 3-4 tests in the day time and 2 tests in the night time. The AMPS amount today was not a typo. Thank you!

14. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Hi Peter, it’s good to hear from you.
    Is your move away permanent or are you going to be able to go back and look after Monkey?
    There are no tests at all in the pm cycles which is very concerning as cats often drop lower at night. And very few during the day cycle either. Monkey could be dropping low in any of those cycles and bouncing back up again, and we would not know.
    Is your Mom willing to test more often?
    I am concerned seeing that 80 today and no further tests taken.
    Is your Mom giving him snacks during the cycle? He needs the food (snacks) during the first half of the cycle to work with the insulin.
    You say your Mom is not super accurate in giving the dose? This is very concerning. Are you sure you Mom is giving 3 units each dose?
    Bron

15. PH&MonkeyPenPenFaFaTiger

Not permanently, I go back to see Monkey once or twice. Yes, it is very concerning, I will communicate more with my Mom to ensure all the procedures are done correctly. Also, I will have her measure +5 as well

16. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Maybe leave a reference syringe with your mum?

1. Fill a syringe to the correct dose with coloured water.

2. Snap off the needle and replace the cap.

Mogs

17. PH&MonkeyPenPenFaFaTiger

Good idea, going to do that when I go home tmr. :bighug:

Critter Mom likes this.
  18. PH&MonkeyPenPenFaFaTiger

After "communicating" with my Mom, I found that her practice in the last few months was to shoot 1.5 hours after Monkey ate his meal.

I suspect this is one of the causes of instability because after eating Monkey'BG is going to skyrocket within that 1.5 hour to a very high point, then the BG drop drastically after the insulin shoot. My question is, does this kind of volatility can be a big problem? @Bron and Sheba (GA)

I have already strongly demanded my Mom to shoot within 15-30 mins after Monkey's meal.

19. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

They shouldn't eat for two hours prior to the preshot test so the number is not food influenced. Test, then feed, then shoot in that order. Can all be done within 10 min.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.