Help! Dog (canine) message board or resource?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Martha and Lolly, Apr 22, 2024.

1. Martha and Lolly

Martha and Lolly Member

I had a sugar cat for years that FDMB helped me regulate. My aunts dog was just diagnosed with diabetes. Vet pushing Hills W/D which is really high in carbs (2nd ingredient is corn). Same deal as with cats- Vets blinded by pocketbook and Hills.. I need to find a dog food - similar to Fancy Feast classic or Frisky Pate with lower carbs she can afford. Most recommendations on websites are for high end extremely expensive dog foods.

Anyone:
    1) know a good support site for canine diabetes?
    2) know dog food good for canine diabetes?

2. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

@Martha and Lolly
    Hi Martha
    I did a search on google search and found this posted by one of their members
    stumbled upon an amazing website and forum for diabetic dogs, I highly recommend it. The people there are amazing, they will hold your hand through the entire process, they will call you on the phone if necessary, they will help you get your dog regulated. The owner Natalie has amazing knowledge on the subject.

http://www.k9diabetes.com/

Forum http://www.k9diabetes.com/forum/

Also said
    The k9diabetes.com site is what I’ve always heard is the go-to source of info for dogs.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2024
    Martha and Lolly and 20Merlin24 like this.
  3. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  4. Martha and Lolly

Martha and Lolly Member

Thank you for this info!! . We need it. It’s been an absolute nightmare. Vet is terrible. My aunt is 85, with tremors, cannot manage a syringe. I found the Merck Vetmed pen- and contacted her vet before flying from Philly to Tx. Vet agreed to order pen, but neglected to get required insulin cartridge. Then vet told us he thought pen “was too complicated for her”. I tried to train aunt with tomato and syringe- not possible. Also pen not really that complicated!! Had to fight vet to order insulin. Had to extend my trip by two days so I’d have time to teach aunt to use- cost me $500 to change flight and car. I had trouble with Chowder’s BG’s- much more difficult than cat (at least compared to my dear Lolly (GA). Vet told me not to worry, shooting 4 units (40 IU vetsulin) AM /PM would be ok till next week when he’d do curve. I had a bad feeling today, rolled Chowder in a towel, with my aunt crying, forced the BG test at 6+ out from am shot. He was at 90!! If I’d injected 4 units that night Chowder would have died. (Though I had karo - thanks to FDMB, not vet) I also asked vet how much food Chowder should be eating- couldn’t pin him down. Finally I called Hills- asked for their data on maintaining 17lb dog weight on their W/D. Turns out my aunt had been underfeeding him by a whole can a day for the 2 weeks since vet put him on Hill’s W/D!!!!

I’m amazed that any dogs or cats survive diabetes. I’ve never met a vet that encourages home blood testing. As for using testing to get cats off insulin- to this day Lolly’s old vet does not believe that I got her off insulin with help of Fdmb. And she pushed science diet’s pea filled kidney food when Lolly started with CKD. Why oh why are all the vets I’ve known so blind about diabetes?? It’s one of the most researched diseases ever. I know, I’m a librarian.

Thank you @Diane Tyler's Mom , @Chris & China (GA) and everyone helping on FDMB. Shining a light on ignorance, and empowering me. You all saved a dog’s life today.

5. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Martha you're such a wonderful nice ! Wishing your Aunt and Chowder all the very best :bighug::bighug::bighug::cat: