Help! Attempting first home curve but amps is too low to shoot. What now?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Mommakitty907, Aug 5, 2020.

  1. Mommakitty907

    Mommakitty907 New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2020
    Good morning FDMB people's. I am attempting to do Momma's first home curve today and I need some guidance. I just did her first test and her result came up 98! Which is a great number of course, but also to low for me to comfortably shoot her in an hour when shes due. I know the whole point of this curve is to see where we are at with her dosage but how will that work if I have to skip her morning shot? Do I continue with the curve despite not dosing her or wait until tomorrow since I cant shoot her now?
     
    jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  2. Nan & Amber (GA)

    Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Mar 19, 2016
    Well! This is a surprise!

    It's still an hour before you are scheduled to shoot? I would stall-- don't feed-- and see if she's moving up at all.
     
  3. Ann & Scatcats

    Ann & Scatcats Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Dec 31, 2009
    @Mommakitty907 Checked your SS and seems you are on a good first Prozinc trial 1 U am and pm schedule
     
  4. Nan & Amber (GA)

    Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Mar 19, 2016
    More: looking at her spreadsheet, I'm pretty sure that what is going on is this.

    1) she went surprisingly low two days ago (86)
    2) her body said "whoa! what is this low number?????" and activated some protective mechanisms to raise BG. We call this "bouncing"-- it can last for up to three days
    3) last night, she started coming down from the bounce

    The question now is, is she still coming down, or is she back on the way up? If she's started the zoom-up, you can probably shoot, but if she's still breaking a bounce, you really don't want to add the accelerant of an insulin shot to that.

    Either way, the bad news is... she's probably going to bounce again from this green. Even doing a curve tomorrow, you may not get useful results. But let's see what the Prozinc people have to say about this.
     
  5. Mommakitty907

    Mommakitty907 New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2020
    Thanks guys! I will have to hold the curve until next week because today was the only day I could do it this week. I drive my boyfriend to work thursday through Monday and that's a two hour round trip so unfortunately wont be able to be home the full twelve hours to do the curve until tuesday. So we'll be shooting for then instead. But I appreciate the insight, especially regarding the bounce. I totally see what you mean and I agree, even if I could tomorrow it would probably be inaccurate. I'm so glad you all are available to help me get through all of this. Makes figuring out how to manage this feel less scary and more like a community supported progress mission!
     
  6. Ann & Scatcats

    Ann & Scatcats Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Dec 31, 2009
  7. Mommakitty907

    Mommakitty907 New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2020
    That did come down from an increase recommended at our first vet curve where they decided she needed 1.5u, which after being advised by Chris via the Facebook group to try going back to 1u after her low 86, i feel was an increase made based off of a very stress compromised curve result. Her body seems to be liking the return to 1u to me based on her tests at least.

     
  8. Ann & Scatcats

    Ann & Scatcats Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Dec 31, 2009
  9. Mommakitty907

    Mommakitty907 New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2020
    Just tested her one more time after stalling and still only 137 (woo hoo tho!) But definitely gonna hold off her shot this morning and plan her curve for next week. Thank you all so much for the advice!
     
  10. Ann & Scatcats

    Ann & Scatcats Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Dec 31, 2009
    Here is the standard procedure
    No shot if under 180 (10)
    Here you can see all the different bg numbers
    https://www.felinediabetes.com/bg-convert.htm

    Optimal, further on, is to keep the bg under the Renal threshold 230 (13)
     

Share This Page