Hello, haven't been on for awhile, and need advice

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Mandy S, Apr 1, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mandy S

Mandy S Member

Hello everyone...we haven't been on the board since end of last year. Sissy had been doing really well.
    Plugging along, dealing with her food pickiness but overall fine. Back of Feb 7th I noticed she wasn't acting right. Just seemed way off and I got the monitor and tested her sugar...she was a lot higher than she'd been running. She also wasn't wanting to eat...but that's normal for her. I decided to give it a day before starting any of her support meds. The next day her sugar was still high for her...and she hadn't eaten at all, so I got the cyproheptadine and gave her the dose. She fought it, got it on her tongue and then puked everywhere....and she puked up a big wad of the netting from an onion bag! I called the vet because now I knew why she wasn't eating and why her sugar was off. They said to monitor her, told me what to look for and that night her sugar was back down and she did eat a bit...and she was pooping, no sign of anything. Her appetite was slow to come back, so we started support meds...and it did come back to almost normal, but not quite...and then it went back down again...sort of coming and going. Some days she just flat out would not eat, so she got syringe fed baby food. We've seen the vet a few times and tried mirataz, but now she's having some side effects whenever she has that...she paces endlessly and howls and does some posturing as if she were in heat. Stop the Miritaz and all that goes away. It doesn't work anyway...she's still on the zofran and cyproheptadine now and she's eating the bare minimum.
    The last time we were at the vet last week he was saying how the hair on her belly has never grown back from her ultrasound in November. The tech said they see that in some cats with cushings....now Sissy does have a pot belly, and she has fur that isn't growing back there....but she doesn't really have any other signs of cushings. And a hallmark of that is hard to control sugars they say, and she's not had any insulin now for a couple weeks I believe. The vet said to trial her off of it because getting her to eat enough to shoot was just too much. Months ago I mentioned a little tick...almost like a parkinson like head bob...that she'd do randomly. NOW it's not just her head...it's her whole body, a leg, a foot her entire body just random jumps and jerks. I've tried to get it on video to show the vet this weekend, and I did get some. It's just hard to see on video. When I called they talked about hospitalizing her, but I think that will stress her out so much. Right now she's eating, even though it's not much, and she's drinking and using the box....she comes out a few times a day and wants me to snuggle her...but she's so restless. She doesn't stay long.

I really don't know what to do next if anything. She has that enlarged adrenal gland, but all of her bloodwork has been normal except for a very slight, like one point, elevation in kidney numbers... her urinalysis last week was fine. I'd like some ideas of things to talk to the vet about when I see them this weekend. I don't get to see her regular vet, it's the partner...our entire vet clinic was closed because of Covid infections. So I get who I get. I just don't know what to do for her to make her feel better. I don't know what to make of her jerks and ticks. When we're at the vet she's all alert and on the prowl all around the room and they've never seen what I'm talking about. The other night she was asleep on my daughter's bed and she messaged me and said that she could feel the bed move because of Sissy's jerking. That just isn't normal.

I know this is long and It's late so I know I've left info out, but if anyone has any ideas, my ears are wide open!

2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Wow in not sure.
    Can you post her most recent bloodwork?

3. Mandy S

Mandy S Member

I just emailed and asked for them to email me a copy. I usually get one every time, but this time I didn't. I'll post it as soon as I get it.

4. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Are you giving the Zofran about an hour or two before the cyproheptadine? Maybe, you could ask the vet about upping the dosages, or giving less more frequently. I hope they can do an x-ray or something to make sure that onion bag isn't causing a problem. She was eating normally (for her) before that?
    I would search through these links on Tanya's site to see if they help you to decide what to ask the vet for or to discuss with the vet.
    upload_2021-4-1_19-41-25.png

Also, you might want to ask the vet for some recovery food like a/d for when you need to syringe feed her as it will have more calories and nutrients that she needs, than baby food.

5. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

How did it go with the vet and Sissy? Did you ever get her tested for Cushings? There is one type that is caused by an adrenal tumour, and not all Cushings kitties are diabetic.

6. Mandy S

Mandy S Member

I'm sorry it took so long to get back.
    They vet never did test for Cushings, but I've been reading on a cat page on Facebook and am going to ask for some testing. I didn't know there was more than one type until reading there. Our vet is very conservative and very much will do what we want, but he also knows we have very limited funds and that is a huge stressor because we may want to test and do treatments but can't afford much...and I know surgery will be insanely expensive. :(

I'll attach the bloodwork from February. Most of this week Sissy will not eat unless she has zofran and the cyproheptadine. For two days though she seemed to want food and asked for it quite a bit...but that's stopped again. I was not giving two hours between dosages, but after reading that here I did start doing it and it is working better. One day I accidentally shut off the alarm for the Cypro and she didn't want to eat all day.
    We got rescheduled at the vet because of Covid...I guess they are very short staffed right now and having trouble getting people seen. I'm calling in the morning to see if there has been a cancellation that maybe we could fill. Sissy spends most of her time sleeping on my daughters bed...she comes out periodically and gets in my lap and snuggles up under my chin, head butting and kissing me and staring into my eyes...I just adore her...and it's killing me to see her tremoring and shaking and not know what's going on with her. I've taken some video this week of her...idk if I can post it or not, I might try. I was sitting in my daughters room with her earlier tonight and her whole body just seems to vibrate. I tried to get it on camera...and she just head jerks, body jerks..hard enough that I can feel it at one end of the bed and her at the other.

She's still not on insulin...I checked her sugar last night and it was 100. The spreadsheet has locked me out to view only again so I will update it when I can get back on it. But she's been well under 100 most of the time she's been checked...only a couple times was she 100 or 105 or something like that.

What site are those links above from...I'm not sure what Tanya's site is.-
    -----------

It won't let me attach a file, says I don't have permission...tried in a separate post and still won't let me.
    The following error occurred:
    You do not have permission to view this page or perform this action.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
  7. Mandy S

Mandy S Member

Here is a link, hopefully this works.
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/BccnKk8Qq9MrhXPe9

There are her labs and videos...I put a comment on one of the videos to mark where the bigger tremor is, it has a 1 on it.
    The one on her back you can clearly see her legs just shaking like crazy...
    the ones sitting up you can see if you watch closely.

I added one of her and my daughter...just to show that she acts pretty normal, wanting her lovin' from her people.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
  8. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Tanya's site = http://www.felinecrf.org/

I hope you can get her into the vet soon. The videos will be a good tool to show them.

9. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Go to Tanya's site and then click on Symptoms and then Alphabetical Index Of Symptoms and Treatments. Click on J and scroll down to Jerking. You can also find Seizures, Shaking, Trembling, and Twitching below that. Maybe it will help you to come up with questions to ask your vet.

10. Mandy S

Mandy S Member

I talked to them today, our vet has been out for 10 days now and other staff. He "might" be back tomorrow...but his schedule is so backed up...she said to send the videos and call back at 7:30 in the morning and she'd see if one of their same day emergent appointments are open, she can't book them in advance, but she said as long as nothing critical comes in the night or early morning, I can have one...I kind of feel bad taking one of those emergency spots...but she said otherwise I'll probably have to wait another week or two to be seen, and since it's getting worse she doesn't want us to wait that long.

Thanks for the site, I will check it out!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.