Hello from a returner!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Amybee and Pandora (GA), Apr 25, 2024.

1. Amybee and Pandora (GA)

Amybee and Pandora (GA) Member

Hello everyone!

Just wanted to introduce myself, I’m Amy and I was here briefly in 2021 when Pandora was first diagnosed and we managed to get her controlled with diet change.

Back now as at nearly 19 years old Pandie’s diabetes is back and tomorrow morning will be my first ever attempt at an insulin shot.

I’ve set up my signature and spreadsheet, hopefully correctly!, in readiness.

Pandora’s current symptoms are anorexia, weight loss, lethargy. She is drinking and peeing. I am kicking myself as time has been wasted trying to figure out what was the matter during which a full blood test at the vet which was v stressful showed normal glucose!! I did a curve at the weekend which I should have done much sooner which showed results around 25. I have done ketone urine test twice today which have up negative thankfully.

Feeling very stressed, not about doing the injections but just about her being ok and doing what I can for her. Luckily I can work from home for the next week or so at least so I can monitor her and keep testing.

Very grateful for the resources on this site such reading over the last few days have given me a lot of reassurance and a focus on what I need to do next.

Thank you for reading :)

2. Don Degludec

Don Degludec Member

Hey Amy,

Just a wee heads up: you gotta set your spreadsheet to "anyone with a link" as currently it requires access to be requested.

I'm sure you'll be awesome taking care of Pandi, so don't panic! You managed to control her before with diet change only, which is a huge accomplishment on its own! You've got this, girl! ;)

Edit: Oh and just noticed you're from my ends! Hello from the UK!

3. Amybee and Pandora (GA)

Thank you Don! Fixed I hope.

4. Don Degludec

Don Degludec Member

You sure did!

5. Amybee and Pandora (GA)

Ok the first shot is in! And I am sure it went in. She was such a good cat. First entry into ss made, and the relief at the feeling of putting this insulin inside her that she needs is overwhelming. I am working today (from home, thankfully) but as her number was red I am just planning to test a couple of times between now and pmps.

6. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

One reminder -- the AlphaTrack reads higher than a human meter. The difference is small with lower numbers and is much larger at the higher end of the scale. Our dosing methods refer to numbers based on the use of a human meter. There's no formula for converting numbers from a pet-specific to a human meter (or vice versa). d

Remember to give your kitty a treat for being such a good girl!!

7. Amybee and Pandora (GA)

Thank you! Yes I had seen that on some of the articles on here, I guess as the lower numbers are the more dangerous ones at least the difference is small there. I will keep taking tests and do the odd curve so I have as much data on the effect as I can.

She got some freeze dried cod :)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) likes this.