? Have Any Acrocats Gone into Remission?

Discussion in 'Acromegaly / IAA / Cushings Cats' started by bambinaki, May 11, 2020.

1. bambinaki

bambinaki Well-Known Member

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

No worries about multiple posts on this particular forum, it is rather quiet.

The answer is no. Insulin treatment does not cause an acromegalic cat to go into remission. The diabetes is caused by excess growth hormone from the pituitary tumour. That tumour can ramp up and ramp down. If the tumour ramps down, it is possible the cat will go into remission. There have actually been cases of cats that have acromegaly that were not diabetic. Note that the number of cases of known acrocats to have gone into remission when treated just by insulin, is just a handful. Karen's Lily is one. I can think of one other. There have been a few cats that were diabetic, went into remission, fell out of remission and subsequently later diagnosed with acromegaly. Did they have acromegaly the first time? Who knows, they weren't tested the first time they had diabetes.

Giving insulin, and preferably enough insulin to keep an cat under renal threshold, is to keep the cat's body and internal organs as healthy as possible. Acromegaly by itself is hard on kidneys. You don't want to damage kidneys any more by keeping the cat in high numbers. TR gives you the best chance to keep your cat regulated and allows you to increase faster to get your cat into better blood sugar numbers.

3. bambinaki

Thank you! (I'm preparing for Maxi's vet appointment.)

4. Karen & Lily

Karen & Lily Member

I believe Lily going into remission is one for the record books. I wonder how many kitties have done so? She is still doing well and still off insulin.

5. bambinaki

That's wonderful! Congratulations to Lily and you.

It would be great if we could get some statistics from the 20,0000+ members of this group - not only about acromegaly but also the success rate of T.R.

Karen, do you have a vet in Naples that supports your implementation of Tight Regulation and Lily's raw diet?

Karen & Lily likes this.
  6. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Not all people who are members post regularly, so we don't always have data on outcomes, hence no hard and fast statistics. The papers written on TR do have some numbers. TR does have fairly good outcomes for cats that are regular type 2 type diabetics and relatively recently diagnosed. In acromegalic cats, TR gives you a better change of keeping their numbers under renal threshold. That is merely what we have seen over time.

7. Karen & Lily

Karen & Lily Member

@bambinaki , thank you. It was Lily doing all the work. LOL.
    Yes my vet is very supportive. She knows I take very good care of all my felines. She has never questioned the raw diet or tried to talk me out of it. I will be honest and say I got more help on dosing from this board, particularly @Wendy&Neko , than from my vet. All my vet did was give me the script for Lantus and ask about the dosage amount when I take Lily for her exams. And of course my vet helped me getting Lily tested for acro.

bambinaki likes this.