Has anyone seen a spot like this?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Jackie55 & Bootsie, May 16, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jackie55 & Bootsie

Jackie55 & Bootsie Member

upload_2022-5-16_7-7-55.jpeg

Is this a type of skin cancer?

2. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

I don't think so. Does Bootsie have any other scabby places or lumpy places on her body (around her neck, back of legs, abdomen?) Skin cancer in cats is most frequently found on the ears and that is most frequently found in outdoor cats who are white. I'm not saying that it's never found anywhere else, but just where it's most likely to be found. I ought to know. I have a boy cat who is white and he had skin cancer all around the tips of both ears. He had to have surgery to remove all of it. They were little bumpy white places. Bootsie's photo looks more like the lesions that my cats who have bad allergies get (and unfortunately what they sometimes get Depo Medrol shots for since we haven't been able to manage them any other way.) Does she seem itchy at all? Is it possible she scratched herself there? I'd take her to the vet and see what they say. Hopefully, they have something topical that they would recommend. Maybe they'll be able to put your mind at ease about it.

Last edited: May 16, 2022
  3. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Is the spot raised?
    Is it scabby?
    Is it all red?

4. Jackie55 & Bootsie

It is not scabby but yes is does seem to be red

5. Jackie55 & Bootsie

And Larry is does seem to be a bit raised

6. THH & Snowcrash (GA)

THH & Snowcrash (GA) Member

I think this is worth a vet visit and possibly removal & biopsy.

7. Jackie55 & Bootsie

Thanks - we have an appointment

Suzanne & Darcy likes this.
  8. Larry and Kitties

Could be cutaneous mast-cell tumor. Here was one on my Patches
    Patches MCT.jpeg

9. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

Did Patches have this removed, Larry? Was this many years ago? Thank you for sharing this photo. This could help a lot of people.

10. Jackie55 & Bootsie

It looks very similar to Bootsie/s

11. Meredith (& Bro)

Meredith (& Bro) New Member

So, I'll preface by saying I still agree your vet should look at it, but a friend of mine who is a vet tech just shared a picture of a dog with black fly bites and it looks really similar. Not sure if Bootsie goes outside or not, but maybe it's an insect bite of some sort? Definitely check with the vet though. Hopefully it's nothing serious!

12. Larry and Kitties

Yes, it was removed by the vet with not further problems or occurrences.
    Before that I had another cat, Izzabelle, that had maybe 4 MSTs at different times and they were removed and finally never came back.
    I had another cat, BunBun, who had recurring ones. He was covered with them. After a shot time did not even try removal. Tried four different chemo drugs with no success. Infections got him finally from the open sores.
    The vet might be able to to take a fine-needle aspirate and place on microscope slide and stain it and look at it under a microscope and determine what it is. That is how all mine were initially diagnosed.

13. Jackie55 & Bootsie

Thanks so much for your information Larry. I will see what my vet says. Hopefully just an MST on her face and nothing internally going on.

14. Larry and Kitties

None of my cats has the internal MST, those are really bad. My BunBun just had many on the skin, the vet/oncologist and I gave up counting them

15. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

My cat has a similar thing on her leg that has to be removed. I’d def get it checked.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.