Has anyone had Prozinc just stop working after 2.5 years of success?

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by rsnyder03, Nov 10, 2023.

1. rsnyder03

rsnyder03 New Member

My cat’s diabetes has been well managed on Prozinc for 2.5 years now. Suddenly, about 3 weeks ago, my cat started showing some serious signs of the diabetes. Fructosamine was through the roof as of yesterday even though we haven’t missed a dose!

I’m wondering if there is some hint wrong with this bottle if insulin or if it’s more likely my cat just suddenly stopped being regulated by it? I called the manufacturer and I’m working through that to see if I can get a replacement but wanted to see if anyone had experienced anything similar.

2. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

Do you have a spreadsheet that would help to see what happened? What kind of BG numbers do you get preshot and mid cycle? How old is your vial of ProZinc? Does it look clear with no particles in it?

Has your vet done recent bloodwork (besides the fructosamine). Has the vet carefully checked your kitty’s mouth for any signs of tooth problems? Any history of or signs of a urinary tract infection?

3. Suzanne & Darcy

Chloe is a beautiful cat, by the way!

Lisa and little likes this.
  4. rsnyder03

rsnyder03 New Member

Thank you!

She is running in the 350’s pretty consistently. Today I gave her 4 units of Prozinc and two hours later, her numbers were still in the 350’s.

Vet checked for UTI and it was negative. She also checked thyroid which was fine.

5. Suzanne & Darcy

And how old is your ProZinc?

6. Suzanne & Darcy

I see she takes pancreatic enzymes. Any chance she has pancreatitis?