Hand grazed needle before shot, chances of infection?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Lizzee, Feb 9, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lizzee

Lizzee Member

Hello all,

The way we give Shurshishka's shot is I hold her down while my partner injects. Long story short after an oopsies we realized after that the needle portion, the one that actually goes under her skin grazed her hand before going in.... What are the chances that she'll be okay? She washed her hands about 10 minutes before we administered the shot but I cant seem to stop myself from freaking out that she'll get a skin infection or god forbid, sepsis. Are there any symptoms I need to look out for?

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

An overwhelming desire for raw tuna, the tendency to want to lick your hands and that sunny spot on the floor looks like the best place ever to take a nap.

Seriously though, we've all stabbed ourselves, sometimes even injected some insulin, but we're all fine. Treat it like any other wound. Soap, water, maybe some antibiotic cream.....and it's a great excuse for a hot fudge sundae....just in case....LOL

3. Lizzee

Lizzee Member

Oh my goodness, I should probably clarify that the needle touched my partner's skin before we injected the shot into our furbaby lol. It didn't break my partner's skin but I'm worried that the actual needle part of it picked up some bacteria from the hand when we injected the insulin.

Though literally 5 minutes earlier I managed to poke myself with an old lancet while trying to take her BG. Just a bad day with needles I guess. Also explains my sudden desire for an all-meat diet.

Critter Mom likes this.
  4. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I wouod not worry at all. I do not know abut you but I do not take an alcohol wipe to the skin/fur before I shoot so the skin is full of bacteria efore the shot.

Lizzee likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.