HAIRBALL QUESTION

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Irish Pat, Jul 27, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Irish Pat

Irish Pat Member

Hello all...been a while for me....I have a questions related to my other cat Emma, she is non diabetic. I am curious if you guess have any advice on hairball remedy. It is so God awful hot in Pa and she just loves being in our sunroom out of the AC and she is shedding a little more than normal this year and getting hairballs. We brush regularly, she was checked by the vet including blood work to just make sure nothing else was going on. Vet gave her laxatone to try and she really isnt a big fan.....Any good advice or good home remedies that any of you may have tried that we could try on her?

2. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

I dont know a cat that does like laxatone:p
    I put the stuff on the top of her front leg. That way she cant shake it off and laxatone goes flying. Thats the only stuff I went back to all the other things I've tried really didnt work.
    Theres lots of different remedies hold on for more replies.;)

3. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Where in PA are you?

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  4. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

I've heard of using vaseline or coconut oil. I started using those Hartz Hairball treats from Walmart on one of my civies that had chronic hairball issues and that actually did the trick. Our other young kitty is having issues as well and the treats don't seem to help. I always used dabs of butter for my kitties but I'm not sure if it actually helped/prevented them or not.

5. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Egg yolks also work for hairballs. Here is an article on it.

6. Irish Pat

Irish Pat Member

Harrisburg area, You?

7. Irish Pat

Irish Pat Member

So are you using it now or is it something you used in the past? Do you know how long it actually takes to work, I have been using it for a little over a week and still getting hairballs....

8. Irish Pat

Irish Pat Member

Very interesting read...thank you

9. Irish Pat

Irish Pat Member

Thank you Elizabeth....it appears thats sorta what this laxatone is a pertoleum jelly type product

10. Irish Pat

Irish Pat Member

How often do cats vomit hairballs? Some weeks she does more than others and then she goes alot days in between without having any....But she just started this laxatone a few days ago

11. jt and trouble (GA)

Ive always used it. I keep trying different things because at some point the stuff gives Zoe soft poops Not exactly diarrhea but soft enough to get all over her LONG fur.
    I usually only have to give it once a day, for 2 days before I see results. Last week she got the runs after one dose.:eek:
    (dose = about a half inch squeezed from tube.)
    I should add, Zoe is my first long haired cat in 40 years):rolleyes:

Irish Pat likes this.
  12. Irish Pat

Irish Pat Member

So does she have alot of hairballs?

13. jt and trouble (GA)

No not that I can find anyway. And this doesnt happen but every few months. I also found that article very interesting. I may try the powdered egg yolk.
    This "stuff" has never left me feeling like its something she should be ingesting.:confused:

Irish Pat likes this.
  14. Olive & Paula

Scranton area. To bad we weren't closer, I have 3 remedies you could try. My civvie Tux had er surgery earlier this year for hairball obstruction. He doesn't like one, the other he gets because I smear on foot, the 3rd he will eat occasionally. Dried egg yolk. Use a slicker brush daily and so far no hairball from my 2 long haired.

This I just started. Ingredients not bad at all. Though it is pungent. Can crumble in food.

https://www.chewy.com/vets-best-hai...-RXL7JgBr64jFfyYbaHkXn4yGtNrnHlRoCbUYQAvD_BwE

15. jt and trouble (GA)

I had success with that until Zoe refused to eat it. from the hand OR crumbled on top of food. I even mixed it into her food and that little nose of her's grew like Pinocchio's! she could smell it still!:eek:

Brushing isnt in Zoes makeup she looks at a brush and runs . I tried pinning her down and she screamed like a banshee and mangled my hand.:rolleyes:

16. jt and trouble (GA)

Is it unethical to give her a TEENY TINY bit of Valium? Just to see if MAYBE she wont notice I'm brushing her? I'm THAT desperate.

Irish Pat likes this.
  17. jt and trouble (GA)

:oops:
    Sorry Pat for the hijack question.:(

Irish Pat likes this.
  18. Olive & Paula

Ollie and Tux hated brushing, but got use to it. Tux thought you were playing, so i give him a big cat ball to bunny kick. Now he likes his back and sides done. When he has had rnough i stop. Rest is still work in progress.

Ollie didn't like it but she didn't like being touched, i think it was to uncomfortable past her shoulders. I would do her head lightly and over time was able to go further. Last couple of months she started purring when i brushed her and could do her back, tail and one side. If she got up to leave i let her go. Never forced either to brushing. They can be trained and get use to it, even enjoy it. Lite strokes and with slicker brush, lite is all you need.

19. jt and trouble (GA)

This I have tried. I take great care to go lightly. I think she has that fragile skin where a little pull really hurts. I should amend that she ONLY allows her face to be brushed sometimes the top of her head. Ive had her since 2010 and she reacts the same today as she did the first. Shes gets mats and LETS me cut them out for the most part. Thats mot what I like to do because I once nipped her.
    She does have 3 types of fur. I have purchased a myriad of brushes and combs...shes not receptive to any of them. I dont know if its because shes never been brushed or maybe because she was and was hurt. She came to live with us as a, 1 y/o stray

Pat I hope this is info you can use also. :blackeye:

20. Dusty & Roe

Dusty & Roe Member

Pat this is old school but we use to put some butter on the top of the Cats paw the would always lick it off it use to work but I don’t know if today’s standards it’s ok .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.