Grooming question

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Allison K, Jul 23, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Allison K

Allison K Member

While this is not uniquely diabetes related, due to the amount of waste is in his litterbox my cat gets litter stuck to him (mainly his paws but also his "sanitary area"). Does anyone have a sanitary cut done for their cat and does this have to be done by a groomer or is it something that can be done at home? I ask because whenever I have to transport my cat (so far only to the vet) he tends to pee on me en route.

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

I've had a sanitary cut done on one of mine before to help with that same problem. I either had the vet do it or the groomer but that's only because I'm not too good with clippers and that's a pretty sensitive area. If you're good with clippers, there's no reason you couldn't do it yourself though.

Another option you might want to look into is changing the litter. I got so tired of the "cement paws" and switched to crystal litter and have loved it ever since. Not only did it fix the problem, it's a lot lighter when it's time to start fresh. One bag is supposed to last 1 cat for 1 month (depending on the size of the box and the size of the bag). You just have to scoop the poop. The urine is absorbed into the crystals and then the "water" part evaporates out and the smell is locked in. You just "stir" the crystals to keep them fresh.

3. Allison K

Allison K Member

I have tried light litter before and it clings to his FUR a lot (long haired) and makes a mess (but this was way before the cement paws issue. It does not happen all the time. What I had thought I might try is the special scissors you can get for grooming. Problem is a lot of those special litters (pine, crystals, etc) are the price.

It is not just the "cement paws" issue though. He has a lot of wet fur there after he goes pee at times. So him getting up on the couch or bed, or just leaving wet paw prints all over the place is part of the problem as well.

4. Allison K

Allison K Member

Is this something like what you are referring to?

5. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Yes, that's a crystal litter

6. Allison K

Allison K Member

One bonus I guess is if it does not immediately absorb, ketone tests might be easier

7. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

You can do it yourself with clippers if your cat will allow it. However, I would not use scissors since it is easy to cut skin.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.