Gracie has crossed the rainbow bridge.

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Tina and Gracie (GA), Aug 7, 2023.

1. Tina and Gracie (GA)

Tina and Gracie (GA) Member

It has been way to long since I have posted in this group.

Unfortunately, I have some sad news to report. Gracie crossed the rainbow bridge on April 19th, 2022.
    I had every intention on coming on here sooner and reporting, but every time I would log on I broke down.

I agreed to the injection (Covenia). I could be spelling it wrong. I wish I hadn't. I believe the medicine killed her. She went down hill so fast and knowing Gracie had CKD I was never cautioned. She became anemic within 48 hours of the injection and slowly started to decline. She spent several days in the emergency vet and was not showing much improvement. On the sixth day the vet encouraged me to take her home to see if it was an environmental thing. They thought maybe she was to stressed at the hospital, so they sent me home with IV bags, and her medicine.

One of their vets did house calls, so basically she was still getting care, but at home. Initially I saw some improvement. She would get these roller-coaster waves of energy. I didn't know this was something cats did when they are getting ready to cross over.

I remember the night before she passed. She slept on my chest. My dream that night was so vivid. I will never forget it. She was in a field of green grass. I couldn't get to her, but I kept calling her name.

The next morning I knew she was ready. The vet arrived and helped her cross.

Gracie lived a long beautiful eighteen-ish years. I cannot thank this message board enough for the support during her early diagnosis of diabetes. She would have never made it this far without the support from FDMB.

I don't believe anyone who helped me regularly is still around, but maybe they are. @Kris & Teasel @Rachel I tried tagging the other but I think she left.

I am going to try and make myself a little more present again...to give back to the members.

See you at the Rainbow Bridge:rb_icon:

Last edited: Aug 7, 2023
  2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry.

3. Shelley & Jess

Shelley & Jess Member

4. Tina and Gracie (GA)

Thank you @JanetNJ. You are an asset to this group. I've seen you post many times helping out other members.

JanetNJ and Lisa and little like this.
  5. Tina and Gracie (GA)

Thank you. I don't think I've met you, as it looks like you joined as I was slacking off on my posting. The "tootin" comment under your signature make me chuckle. Yaz, my other cat has anxious tummy. My vet just calls her "fragile". No bathroom issues though. Just lots of tootin'. The wrong food definitely amplifies the tootin'.
    Out of curiosity is there a specific kind of food that gives more trouble? Right now all she can tolerate Wildness Blue Salmon. The crap the sent her home with (off brand chicken flavor).

6. Lisa and little

Lisa and little Well-Known Member

I am so very sorry for your loss. I’m sure Gracie is happy and making a lot of friends on the other side of the bridge ❤️❤️

7. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Tina, I'm so sorry to learn that you lost Gracie. It's so very difficult, isn't it? Everyone here understands. I'm glad I was able to help you.:bighug:

8. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

I was really sad when I read this message. I am so sorry. I am definitely not a fan of Convenia injections, and I frequently counsel people not to get them for their cats (unless there is absolutely no choice). I have even had one or two done (when a vet did it without my permission) on a few cats, and nothing bad happened, but it's not worth the risk. I can tell that losing Gracie was a tremendous loss for you. I understand. I lost my Darcy a little over two years ago and I still miss him greatly - even though I have other cats here that I also love.

9. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

I am so very, very sorry. It’s so very difficult and I hope you will find peace in all the love you two share and always will share.

My Gracie went into anaphylactic shock after a Convenia injection that I did not authorize. Thankfully, I was a couple of minutes from the clinic and got her right back. That happened before she became diabetic but I never went back to that clinic again and I will always warn against using Convenia shots.

Fly free, sweet Gracie. You and my little brown tabby Gracie will dance together at the Rainbow bridge.

10. Teetee (UK)

Teetee (UK) Member

i'm so sorry about Gracie, we all know how much you loved her.
    Thinking of you.
    Tee.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2023