? Going away need feeding advice

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Susan G & Jimmy G, Apr 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Susan G & Jimmy G

Susan G & Jimmy G Member

We are going away in two weeks for 5 days. I have a sitter coming in twice a day. The plan is to have her test and give Jimmy a shot. What I'm concerned about is his feeding routine. I WFH so am able to feed him a controlled quantity every few hours. The sitter will be coming at 6am and 6pm. Should I have her leave out, say a 5.5 ounce can each visit? Is this enough? Jimmy is 20 lbs and has been getting 10 ounces per day. In the past - I've supplemented with dry food - but we haven't given them dry food in well over a year, and of course - I'm not starting now with Jimmy's numbers the past few days. Should I start stretching out the time to get him slightly adjusted by the time we go away, if that's even possible. He gets irritable when hungry and takes it out on his sister. Ugh. Any tips/suggestions? :banghead:

2. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Could freeze some portions of wet food for sitter to leave out after morning and evening visits :)

Susan G & Jimmy G likes this.
  3. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

Congratulations first on even being able to go anywhere! There's a lot of variables here. Can you leave kibble out? His routine will change for 5 days and some things can't be helped, stress might make his numbers goes up, does he get along with the sitter, which way does the wind blow? Plan ahead but don't get too stressed. Maybe let your sitter log in here and change your password when you get back? Hope that little bit helps.

4. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

If you're not getting a lot of advice I think it's because there's no scientific way to feed a cat. This is all still Voodoo to me even after 2 cats and 5+ years.

5. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

6. Susan G & Jimmy G

Susan G & Jimmy G Member

I'm trying that today. Just took it out of the freezer. Now let's see if they actually eat it later....;)

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  7. Susan G & Jimmy G

Susan G & Jimmy G Member

That's a possibility. I would use wet food though...could add a little water or a cube to keep it somewhat cool and moist. Hmmmm

8. Susan G & Jimmy G

Susan G & Jimmy G Member

No kibble. They haven't had dry food for a few years. Maybe larger portions of wet morning and night? They aren't fans of any strangers. But when she comes prior to us leaving I'm going to bring her onboard (we live on a boat) with treats aka chicken pieces in her hands and have her feed them...make her the treat lady in their eyes. Too bad cats can't face time

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.