Glycobalance

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Bellabrewer, Mar 10, 2021.

1. Bellabrewer

Bellabrewer New Member

Does anyone else feed their cat glycobalance. If so, do you prefer wet and dry or one or the other? My cat is about 9.5 pounds and I attempting to become very strict with food intake and need to hear some opinions regarding this food. Thank you!

2. FarmKitty

FarmKitty Member

Hello! We recommend foods that are <10% carbs. Unfortunately, Glycobalance wet food is 14% carbs. Dry food will be even higher carb, and I think this one is around 30%! Dry foods also have less moisture content, and we want to make our cats well-hydrated, so stick with wet foods.

What you will want to do is open up this food chart and find some food that is <10% carbs. The top of the food chart mentions how much protein/fat/carbs/water you should look out for, and has tips on how to interpret the chart.

I used to use Friskies Pate Chicken Dinner, which was around 5% carbs. This one is very affordable ($25 CAD/month).

I now use Weruva Goody Stew Shoes because it is much lower in phosphorus and lower in protein for my cat with Kidney issues. The Weruva foods are nice because their website as all the nutritional data listed!

They have other foods that are higher in protein that could be an option for you, but it will depend on if your cat has underlying issues. These ones will be a bit pricer as well (starting at $90 CAD/month).

In summary, look for a wet food that is lower in carbs. If you know about any other issues your cat has then tailor the food to that as well. This will also depend on where you live!

Let us know if you have any more questions! Glad you are thinking about your kitty's food intake :)

Also, if you'd like more eyes on this post, then I recommend posting it in the Feline Health forum. Since something like food choice is more general, there will be more people to help you there. This ProZinc forum is more for questions relating directly to ProZinc insulin.

3. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

The so called "prescription" diabetes diets are not really prescription, other than they cost a lot. Take a look at the ingredients: Chicken By-Product Meal, Barley, Wheat Gluten, Corn Gluten Meal, Soy Protein Isolate, Tapioca, Powdered Cellulose, Chicken Fat, Natural Flavors, Dried Chicory Root, Fish Oil, Psyllium Seed Husk

There is a fair amount of carbohydrate and the first ingredient is an animal by-product vs muscle meat. This is not a great diet for any cat, let alone a diabetic. Cats are obligate carnivores -- they can't digest plant products. (And "powdered cellulose" is my least favorite ingredient in cat food -- it's saw dust.)

There is an on-going law suit regarding pet food manufacturers advertising their products as a prescription diet. There is no proof that there is anything prescriptive or needing veterinary approval.