Glucose readings

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Littlepiggy1313, Mar 11, 2024.

1. Littlepiggy1313

Littlepiggy1313 New Member

Hi,

My cat was diagnosed with diabetes just over a month ago, he’s increased up to 2 units per day but still ravenously hungry, drinking a lot and peeing a lot plus has dandruff on his coat.

Today I started doing his readings at home for the first time and before his insulin his readings were 465 so I started giving him an extra half a unit so 2.5. He’s on Caninsulin.

Now I’ve just checked again 10 hours later and it’s gone up to 620 his readings? Both was after eating as he won’t let me do reading when he’s hungry.

I was wondering what this means and what should I do? I’m really worried about it all and the vet doesn’t seem to be much help.

Thanks a lot

Last edited: Mar 11, 2024
  2. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Previous post
    https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/newly-diagnosed.286572/
    Tap on this blue link
    Here is a link helping us to help you link. If you noticed, our members have some basic information about their cat's in their signature. This helps us to not pester you by asking the same questions (your cat's name, insulin type, date of diagnosis, etc.) repeatedly. We also have a link to our spreadsheet in our signature. We are very numbers driven. The spreadsheet is a record of your cat's help
    ress. By linking it in your signature, we can follow along and provide feedback should you need the help

If you need help setting up your spreadsheet just ask ,we have a member who will be happy to set it up for you
    I assume since your kitty is on caninsulin you are not from the US

You might want to read about Caninsulin here
    https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/caninsulin-vetsulin-and-n-nph.19/

Read all the yellow stickys , we adjust the dose by how low the nadir is ( how low the BG is ) not by the pre shots

Last edited: Mar 11, 2024
    Littlepiggy1313 likes this.
  3. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

@Suzanne & Darcy

4. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Hello and welcome. What country are you in? That can help us give specific suggestions that'll help you.

We decide how to change the insulin dose based on how low the dose takes the cat, not how high. I suspect he went lower either overnight or possibly another time yesterday and is now doing what we call bouncing - hence the higher numbers now.
    Here is the definition of bouncing:
    Bouncing is simply a natural reaction to what the cat's system perceives as a BG value that is "too low". "Too low" is relative. If a cat is used to BGs in the 200's, 300's, or higher for a long time, then even a BG that drops to 150 can trigger a "bounce". Bouncing can also be triggered if the blood glucose drops too low and/or too fast.The pancreas, then the liver, release glucogon, glycogen and counter-regulatory hormones. The end result is a dumping of "sugar" into the bloodstream to save the cat from going hypoglycemic from a perceived low. The action is often referred to as "liver panic" or "panicky liver". *Usually*, a bounce will clear kitty's system within 3 days (6 cycles).

5. Littlepiggy1313

Thanks for all your help, I’m in the uk. The vets aren’t much help here. I started testing as it’s been obviously clear the last few days his diabetes is unregulated with his coat becoming more flaky and the amount he’s eating and drinking. Would you suggest that I stick to the 2.5 units (increased by .5) that I did with the last dosage then? Thanks again.

6. Wendy&Neko

I'd start with picking a dose and sticking with it for a few days to gather some data on how he's doing on this dose. Only reduce the dose if he goes below 5.0 (90).

Some information that may help.

7. Littlepiggy1313

Thanks again for all your help, I was just worried that the 2.5 I did was too high as it’s all so new to me and don’t seem to be getting much help or support from vets so turned to researching as his symptoms have become a lot more obvious again. She said to put him up to 2 units 12 days ago but that didn’t do anything.

I’ll stick with the 2.5 and keep checking glucose levels, how many times would you check per day?

Sorry for all the questions!

8. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

You should always test before giving insulin. If he's "hangry" and won't let you test when it's meal time, go ahead and give him a small snack (like a little piece of baked chicken) or a tiny bit of low carb food....just to keep him distracted while you test.

On the AM cycle, you should get tests at different points. With Caninsulin, the nadir (lowest point in the cycle) is usually 4-6 hours after the shot so that's an important time to test. If you can, get other tests at different times so you can start to learn when he usually goes lowest and when the shot starts to wear off and his numbers start to climb. There's no such thing as too much data! The more you can get, the better.

On the PM cycle, we know you'll probably want to sleep at some point, so other then the PM Pre-Shot test, try to get at least a test 2-3 hours after the PM shot. If he's dropping really fast, you may need to stay up later or set an alarm to wake you to get another test later in the cycle. Most cats go lower at night, so it's important to know he's not dropping too much while you're sleeping.

Also, Caninsulin isn't recommended for cats anymore. It used to be that UK vets had no choice and had to prescribe Caninsulin first, but several years ago, the law was changed so that they could prescribe ProZinc as a "first" insulin without showing proof that the Caninsulin wasn't working. I would highly suggest asking your vet about switching to ProZinc and if they're not flexible, you may need to find another vet.

It will really help us to help you if you can get our spreadsheet started so we can see how he's doing. The information will be included in the link @Diane Tyler's Mom posted in her comment. Here it is again helping us to help you.

If you need help setting up our spreadsheet or getting your signature done, feel free to send me or @Bandit's Mom a private message so we can get some details. We're happy to help you get the "busywork" done. Just click on our name and choose "start a conversation".

9. Littlepiggy1313

Thank you so much everyone for replies and all the information, I seem to just be constantly watching him all the time and worrying about the numbers. As I said I increased his dose to 2.5 units yesterday and then did the same amount again earlier (12hrs). As you think he’s bouncing with the difference in the two readings, do I take a lot of notice of the numbers tomorrow or will they be all up and down again? Just worrying if I see them high again! He does seem to be less hungry so not sure if the increase in insulin would’ve taken effect yet?

I could tell before starting testing yesterday that he was still completely unregulated as he’s ravenous all the time, pooing constantly because of the amount he’s having to eat, he has ibd and it isn’t being helped by him having to eat so much food. The litter trays are drenched in wee and his coat has appeared flakey the last week. Plus he doesn’t seem to be gaining the weight back that he’s lost from it. The vet doesn’t really seem to take in much what I say, she said to up it by .5 units in the last 6 weeks which didn’t feel like enough to me by the way he’s acting. Plus insisted I feed him 35% carb dry food! So that’s why i’m trying myself now.

Sorry for the big message my mind is frazzled by it all! I shall get a spreadsheet together with the numbers.

Thanks again

Last edited: Mar 12, 2024
  10. Littlepiggy1313

Back again! Thanks for everyone’s help.

I work really long hours so haven’t been able to get the spreadsheet sorted yet but will tomorrow when I have a day off. I have today been trying to test more aswell.

I thought his numbers looked like they were going down but then tonight have gone really high again? I am trying to not feed him before but it is incredibly difficult by how starving he gets and won’t stay still. His diet is natural low carb high meat cat food (Majamjams) with freeze dried chicken and duck for snacks.

Are these numbers what it looks like when it’s unregulated from the wrong dose? Or is it the wrong insulin? This is the 3rd day of the increased dose, do I need to give it more of a chance?

Numbers from last 3 Days

Monday - Went from 2 units to 2.5
    Before insulin and after meals
    Morning - 465
    Evening - 621

Tuesday
    Before insulin and after meal Morning - 561
    Before insulin and after meal Evening - 567

Wednesday
    6.20AM - No food - 322
    9.30AM Before insulin (had food) - 437
    3.15PM - no food apart from a few freeze dried treats to try and keep him still - 277
    9.30PM before insulin (food 20 minutes previous - 645

Last edited: Mar 13, 2024
  11. Wendy&Neko

If you want help putting together the spreadsheet, we have people who can help you do that.

It's those middle of the cycle tests (part way between shots) that will really help us decide how he's doing on a particular dose of insulin.

12. Littlepiggy1313

Thanks for reply, Chris & China kindly offered to help me create a spreadsheet which I’ll do tomorrow plus test more, the vets seem to have charged £1400 for tests etc then just told to make an appointment in a month and not seem bothered. Very frustrated with it all and also worrying about him all the time.

13. Wendy&Neko

Wish I could say your experience was uncommon. :bighug: