Gizmo OTJ trial

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Rachel P, Mar 13, 2022.

1. Rachel P

Rachel P Member

Hey all,

We are on day 7 of little Gizmo’s OTJ trial, which started as some unintentional shot skips because I was out of town and she was gnarly with my husband.

Here we are now, day 7! I haven’t been as good about testing today and yesterday as I’d hoped (I have strep throat and feel like death) but she’s mostly staying under 80. I’ve noticed there is no more drinking (she always drank very little), only about 2 urinations a day. Very hungry - I think she’s trying to put back on weight she lost. Im noting a little more constipated looking poops, so going to start adding some warm water in addition to the Proviable which has helped immensely.

I know you guys have told me before, but can you drop your other probiotic recommendations? Was one called Visbiome? I’m having a hard time going back to find that thread.

otherwise doing good!

Lmiller86 and FrostD like this.
  2. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Yes Visbiome is one, and I use s boulardii. Go Gizmo!

Rachel P likes this.
  3. Lisa and little

Lisa and little Well-Known Member

I found a comparable one to Visbiome in the vitamin shoppe which also has a prebiotic in it. Not at home so don’t know the name off the top of my head but it was one of the ones n the fridge for about $26

Rachel P likes this.
  4. Rachel P

Rachel P Member

Thanks guys. Any fiber recommendations? I picked this up because it seemed simple and one ingredient, just psyllium husks. Any idea on amount if this one is okay?

she’s pooping everyday but my husband told me she pooped at 4am, and it was hard and dry, and puked right after, so I think we are headed back to constipation land.

https://www.vitacost.com/konsyl-dai...VGSiGCh3okwynEAQYAiABEgJz7PD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

5. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

6. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

Just psyllium husks is what you want. It looks right to me. Some cats don’t like the texture though and won’t eat it in their food. If this doesn’t work, start with 1/8 or slightly less of Miralax in food once a day. You can increase or decrease as needed based upon stool. If that doesn’t work, get some Lactulose from your vet. Good luck with the ongoing OTJ trial.

7. Rachel P

Rachel P Member

Thanks Suzanne, was struggling to find the right miralax dose. When the constipation was more rampant than it is now, I think we were doing 1/4 tsp twice a day but would like to start small if I go that route again. Like I said, she is pooping everyday which is good, but it’s hard and dry. We have lactulose as the backup. Thanks again!

Suzanne & Darcy likes this.
  8. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

I bought this measuring spoon called a Pinch and that’s what I have been using. I compared it to my regular 1/8 spoon and it’s a little less. You may find that a combo of the fiber and a little Miralax does the job? I hope so because constipation is so serious in cats (but at least she’s still going right now and that’s good.)

Rachel P likes this.
  9. Rachel P

Rachel P Member

Yes, it is serious. As long as I catch it when it first starts, we seem to recover without needing an enema. I can always just tell by how it looks. Before the probiotics you guys got me started on, though, she used to go every 3 days and sometimes up to 5. So I count once a day as a big improvement!

Suzanne & Darcy likes this.
  10. Rachel P

Rachel P Member

@FrostD whats your opinion on why I see higher numbers in the morning? I’ve researched this a bit and have come to the conclusion that at least in humans, the effects of rising cortisol and other hormones at night typically give a human diabetic a bump in the morning, but not sure if that’s applicable for cats. Either Somogyi or dawn phenomenon. What do you think?

Last edited: Mar 16, 2022
  11. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

I'd say dawn phenomenon. In cats on insulin a meal at PM +9 usually helps that come down but it's a bit pointless on a cat not on insulin lol the important thing is she's coming back down on her own

Rachel P likes this.
  12. Rachel P

Rachel P Member

Yeah, I wish I could get here to eat around that time to just see and wake myself up. We had been setting out the auto feeder, but she hasn’t been using lately. She would rather scream and wake me up, which is fine. It must be something that happens dawn phenomenon related. The amount of cat fury, panic and hyperactivity at 5am is unreal, but then within those first three hours after her meal she calms right down and the numbers come down with it. Interesting.

FrostD likes this.
  13. Rachel P

Rachel P Member

I feel kinda stupid asking this, but is 62 anything to worry about? Obviously if there was insulin involved, I’d be much more worried, but I still can’t help to be like “uhhhh” LOL. @FrostD

she did a lot of eating from her autofeeder all night if it matters. I’m still setting it out even if she doesn’t use it.

FrostD likes this.
  14. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Nope! No insulin, no depot (for the depot insulins), no hypo! Occasionally some cats with other issues can go hypoglycemic but 62 is perfectly fine normal number.

Rachel P likes this.
  15. Rachel P

Rachel P Member

Phew, I kinda figured, but It’s hard to get out of panic mode about the numbers. I cant believe my eyes looking at the Alpha Trak 7 day and 14 day averages. I think 7 days is 84.

FrostD likes this.