George OTJ now low BG

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by CLM1975, Mar 4, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CLM1975

CLM1975 Member

After a few days of not shooting bc his numbers were so low, the vet said to monitor he seems to be in remission. Apparently we caught it early, he said occasionally cats go through something where they become insulin resistant briefly and he thinks that's what happened in George's case.

However, last night and this morning his readings are very low and he has not had insulin for a couple of days. Are BG readings below 50 a concern if he hasn't had insulin? I briefly thought about giving him corn syrup last night, but his numbers have been stable so I want to avoid swings

He is eating well and his regular self. When/what BG levels are too low if not shooting insulin?

Last edited: Mar 4, 2020
    Deb & Wink likes this.
  2. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

As far as I know without insulin a low number is just that. I'm not able to give dosing advice. When I had a diabetic kitty spreadsheets hadnt even been invented lol But theres plenty here who can answer this more competently than I. Hang in there for more responses!

CLM1975 and Deb & Wink like this.
  3. SullivansDad

SullivansDad Member

My understanding is that without exogenous insulin, low numbers are fine and you do not need to intervene. That might not ALWAYS be the case with some "depot" insulins that stay in the system somewhat for up to three days, but Vetsulin is not a depot insulin and does not stay in the system that long so that shouldn't be a concern here.

4. Sarah&Soph

Sarah&Soph Member

BG numbers in the 50s and even 40s are normal for cats not on insulin. Now if you started getting some really low numbers, like maybe in the 20s, then I might be concerned there was something else going on, but otherwise I wouldn’t worry

5. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

No worries.

No hypoglycemia possibility with no insulin and when you are using a shorter acting in-and-out insulin like Vetsulin/Caninsulin. (or Prozinc).

You do want to continue to monitor the BG levels, to make sure George is really in remission. He did have that blip up to 140 in the PM cycle on 3/4/20 at +5. Food bounce??

You want him to maintain BG numbers <100 for 14 days to truly say he is in remission.

Then, there are some tips to keep him diet controlled. Remind me when you get to that point, please and I'll post the tips.

CLM1975 likes this.
  6. CLM1975

CLM1975 Member

I'm guessing that was a good blip, gave him Temptations when he kept trending lower.

He's eating mainly Fancy Feast pates and Pro Plan Plus, all low carb varieties. I'm also leaving out some dry, a mix of Blue Buffalo Senior and the Hills diabetic formula. He's eating pretty well, back to his old self. I remember reading somewhere not to go too low carb too fast, otherwise I'd get rid of the dry.

But definitely open to what this very knowledgeable group recommends!

Deb & Wink likes this.
  7. Deb & Wink

Which Hill's prescription food?

The W/d or the M/d? (neither one is actually diabetic. The W/d is a weight loss formula, the M/d is a diatetic formula). FDA made Hill's change their packaging quite a few years ago and it's why they changed the name from diabetic to diatetic and then to glucosupport on the M/d foods. Proclaiming that something dietary will make a difference with a disease treatment got them (Hill's) into trouble.

Hill's is actually calling those M/d foods "glucosupport" now. At least that is what the foods sold in US and Canada say.

CLM1975 likes this.
  8. Deb & Wink

Yup, high carb cat treats will cause a higher blip in the BG numbers.

There are plenty of low carb options. Link is here >>>>> List of Low Carb healthy treats
    There are even more options than are on that list.

CLM1975 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.