FYI: Catsip same as Lactaid Milk

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by MelanieP and Ninja, Jul 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MelanieP and Ninja

MelanieP and Ninja Member

Just passing along some info I got today from the manufacturer of Catsip (lactose free milk for cats). Unfortunately it has the same number of carbs per cup as regular and lowfat milk – 11.66 grams. I was hoping this would be a low carb alternative to regular milk, but the manufacturer says no. It is 102 calories per cup and 11.66 grams of carb, which calculates to 46% carb (each carb gram = 4 calories).

The manufacturer said, “Catsip has nothing in it except 1) lowfat milk; 2) lactase enzyme, and 3) taurine. Catsip is identical with Lactaid Milk, with taurine added.”

So just a heads up that, according to the manufacturer of Catsip, the Lactaid milk in your grocery store is the same thing – without the taurine supplement added. If anyone you know uses this as a treat for their non-diabetic kitties, they might want to buy whichever is cheaper (I’m guessing grocery store).

Also, thinking that maybe a tiny amount (like a teaspoon as a treat, not a cup) might not affect BG levels much – but am not the expert on this. Just passing along this info for those of you who use Catsip.

2. hmjohnston

hmjohnston Well-Known Member

And it depends on how carb sensitive your kitty is as well.

Sneakers is VERY sensitive so this wouldn't be good but for others it might be a good treat to give a 1/2 teaspoon every now and then. Or if they have it regularly to give it as a low bg raiser in a hypo situation.

3. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

rhiannon and shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

Thank you for calling them and getting this information.

I have been giving mine a little cat sip each night because a vet told me it was fine.
    It was Dr. Lisa Pierson.
    I guess she can make mistakes too. :eek:

I'll have to email her and tell her how many carbs are in it... :?

I will be curious now to see how shadow's numbers change as I eliminate the catsip.
    We have made so much progress already.

I eagerly await the updates to binky's list because in all likelyhood, the foods on the list that we all want to believe in have probably been tinkered with
    over the years since that list was created.

the world of cat food is like walking thru a minefield....

4. MelanieP and Ninja

MelanieP and Ninja Member

Rhiannon: Maybe Dr. Pierson meant that a teaspoon or so would not do much damage -- as long as you keep the volume tiny, tiny. I love Dr. Pierson for the contributions she has made to help us better understand the field of feline diabetes and have nothing but the ultimate respect for her. If she is your doctor, you are very luck indeed! FWIW....I did not call the company that makes Cat Sip, I emailed them and they sent me a formal written reply. I would be glad to forward it to you or Dr. Pierson if you/she would like to have it. Just PM me with your email address.

I was thinking of trying Hood Calorie Countdown milk instead (as a treat) as it has greatly reduced carbs. It is sweetened with Splenda though which initially caused me some concern. I did some searching on the internet yesterday and found two resources (including a vet with info from an animal toxicologist and also the ASPCA) that said small amounts of Splenda have not been shown to be dangerous. Links are below if anyone is interested. On the other hand, products artificially sweetened with Xylitol can be harmful.

http://www.justanswer.com/cat-health/3g ... e-tea.html
    http://www.aspca.org/Pet-care/ask-the-e ... sweeteners

If you speak with Dr. Pierson, please let her know how much her articles mean to those of us on this forum. She is a Goddess in my book. Also, to you Rhiannon, I am truly impressed at your commitment to helping the newbies on this board, particularly since you are so new yourself. Encouragement in the early days is so important! Keep up the good work; and again, PM me if you would like me to forward the email from AKPharma, Inc - the manufacturer of Cat Sip.

Melanie

5. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

rhiannon and shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

Oh. I love Dr. Pierson's website too.
    She's not my personal vet but I did make use of her invitation at the very bottom of her website to consult with her.

I had asked her a few questions and she got back to me right away. I was ( I still am ) impressed.
    I wish we had more vets like her.

Maybe it was the way I asked the question about the milk.

But, I had been letting Shadow have it , thinking it was no carb and telling others so I went thru my user posts and pm everyone I had personally told
    that it was no carb that I had given them incorrect info. ohmygod_smile

I'll go look into the new one you mentioned but I'm trying to keep my kitty diet as free and low as possible of carbs.

I'll send you my email so I have the specs in case I ever do let her have a little again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.