Furball remedy recommendations that aren’t packed with sugars.

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Mimis mom, Jan 27, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mimis mom

Mimis mom Well-Known Member

Anyone have a recommendation that’s ok for diabetic cats?

Jennifer R. likes this.
  2. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Veronica & Babu-chiri Well-Known Member

Hi you could use SEB it works quite well in helping them with the problem if it is a mild problem, if it is really bad you could give him a bit of Vaseline ( plain no perfume or anything) you would give it just like the furballs remedies for them to lick from their paws or nose etc. to avoid accidental aspiration

Jennifer R. and Mimis mom like this.
  3. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Petrolatum (e.g., Vasoline.). Two of my cats love it. I have a little container (empty test-strip vial) is use to apply some to their ears prior to testing. If I do not cover the container they will lick it dry.

Jennifer R. likes this.
  4. Charlotte and Lucky’s mom

Charlotte and Lucky’s mom Well-Known Member

Lecithin will help with furball breakdown. They do sell powdered lecithin but I have used a bit of raw egg yolk (about a teaspoon) with one of my kitties who had projectile vomiting from a furball. After two treatments with the egg yolk in her wet food, she was fine. I only use it as needed.

Jennifer R. likes this.
  5. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Brush your cat more.

6. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

LOL IF they let you :p I almost lost an arm to Zoe when I tried. :banghead::facepalm::eek:

7. Deb & Wink

Hey, it's shedding season here in the chilly northeast US. Started to see more hairballs the beginning of the month. Dancer 'dances' back and forth along the edge of the bed as I try to brush her for a few minutes each morning. The ADHD kitty that would not sit still is how she got her name.

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  8. jt and trouble (GA)

Awwwwwwwwww :bighug:
    Theres no brushing Zoe just her face any place else is OFF LIMITS:p:banghead:

Jennifer R. likes this.
  9. Mimis mom

I wish it was that simple- its from grooming my other cat.

Jennifer R. likes this.
  10. Mimis mom

does the egg help it pass through the other end?

11. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

12. Charlotte and Lucky’s mom

Yes, the lecithin helps to break the furball down. I use it in my cats when I find they are trying to pass one. I try to brush them as often as I can in between any episodes.

13. Mimis mom

do you use egg yolk or supplemental versions.

14. Charlotte and Lucky’s mom

I used the raw egg yolk.

15. Jennifer R.

Jennifer R. Member

The issue with vaseline is that in can inhibit absorption of fat soluble vitamins, which is why the commercial hairball remedies that contain petrolatum have added vitamin E and cod liver oil (which contains vitamin A and D, but not K). I don't know what a healthy dose of those vitamins is or I would say just give them the vitamins as a supplement. Do they make pet vitamins? Sardines (whole) contain some vitamin D, I think, as does salmon skin.

16. Charlotte and Lucky’s mom

Yes they do make them. One brand is Pet tabs for cats.

17. jt and trouble (GA)

Chris & China (GA) likes this.
  18. Veronica & Babu-chiri

It's true but using Veseline is something you would do only once in a while when there's a furball crisis like in shedding season or something not in a regular basis so it shouldn't affect them provided you do not give it regularly and by the way the furball comercial remedies are not supposed to be given constantly either

If it only were that simple mines are long haired and with a lot of hair seriously and no amount of brushing can do the trick in shedding season

Deb & Wink likes this.
  19. Deb & Wink

I know had 2 long haired kitties myself.

20. Mimis mom

oh maybe thats why my other cat Batman goes nuts when I am making eggs- Does it help them with constipation I wonder?

21. Mimis mom

vaseline they will lick dry?? oh funny. I wonder if Batman is getting vaseline when he grooms Mimi. I put some on a Mimis ears too but don't do it every time because I wonder if its toxic to them? You know how you always read Petroleum is bad for us (not sure why)

22. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

23. Charlotte and Lucky’s mom

Not sure about that one. More moisture in the food is the best thing. Some cats that have motility problems pushing the poop along will need meds to help. As long as it’s not a chronic thing with a cat but only occasional and they like to eat more dry, then giving them more moisture in the wet and backing or stopping the dry temporarily can help those cats. Some need enulose/lactulose on a daily basis if the poops are too firm despite the food changes. But that is a whole other topic!

24. Mimis mom

I do have Miralax for him but didn’t know if I should give it on a daily

25. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

You can if it's necessary. We have people here who give it once a day, twice a day, every other day, etc. etc....it's whatever works best for Mimi.

It can take some experimenting to find just the right amount and frequency that will work best for her.

26. Mimis mom

I got liquid egg whites from the market to put in their food but now I’m wondering if it’s the just the yolk that contains the letg
    how would you know if you were in a hairball crisis? If they puke up the hairball that usually means it passed right?

27. Mimis mom

So it’s the yolk not the whites that contains the leticin? I bought liquid egg whites from the market but now I’m thinking that’s not the right thing

28. Deb & Wink

From an internet search, I found this. Hope it helps

Is lecithin in egg yolk or white?
    In an egg, the white is where most of the protein is held, and the yolk holds the fat. Egg yolk is also where the natural emulsifier lecithin is held which is why sourcing it from yolk can be costly for food manufacturers and why many use soy as a source instead.Jan 25, 2017
    www.giapo.com › lecithin-and-egg-custard

So the answer is ............drum roll please...............Egg yolk for the lecithin to help with the hairballs.

Mimis mom likes this.
  29. Deb & Wink

Health food stores often carry pills with egg yolk lecithin.

Buy a dozen eggs at the grocery store. Crack one of them open over a bowl and let the whites drip down into the bowl and set the yolks aside for feeding to your cat. Do the half an egg shell trick like you would do for separating egg whites from yolk when you are cooking a recipe that needs only the white or yolk. (like meringue cookies for the egg whites or home made mayo for using the yolks.) Use the egg whites to make yourself a healthier egg omelet.

Try with one egg first, to see if your cat will eat the raw yolk. My cat won't touch eggs raw or cooked and doesn't like cheese either.o_O

Egg yolk lecithin didn't do a thing for my cat that throws up hairballs. Hope it works for Mimi.

30. Mimis mom

Ya and now I’ve been reading that hairballs can be dangerous? They might not pass and could cause surgery? Oh boy- just one more thing to worry about :(
    I wish I didn’t owe 10 grand to care credit, both cats like can not get sick..

Didn’t nature figure out hairballs? They made their tongues special to clean their fur, and all cats groom so, what gives?

31. Charlotte and Lucky’s mom

Yes it is the egg yolk that I use. About a teaspoon of it in Their food. Works like a charm so far in my kitties!

32. Deborah & Muffy(GA) & Wendall

Deborah & Muffy(GA) & Wendall Member

33. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Actually if they are puking hairballs often that is the first sign that you have a fur ball crisis cats shouldn't be puking hairballs often that ought to be a very very ocasional event

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.