Fur shot question

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Laura bb, Oct 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Laura bb

Laura bb Member

I appreciate everyone on here so much. This sight has helped me so much. I gave Nermal a shot this morning. I am pretty sure it got in, not wet, plus his ribs are shaved on either side for me to notice. However he jumped down before I could feel if it was wet or not the other day-even though it did go in because his fur is shaved, again trying to make it a habit. Trying to get an everyday routine down. It has gotten a little easier to shoot thanks to this website. Question is for future reference
    If I did get a fur shot- would it be wet from 1 unit of Lantus? Also if I did not notice it being wet-what would I do? What would happen if he licked the spot with insulin in his fur? Just worried about him licking it if I did one day do a fur shot after his hair has grown more. This has not happened, I really just want to be prepared if it did.
    Downloading google sheets now to get spreadsheet going. Coming soon.
    Sorry for almost asking questions everyday—just want to do things right and be prepared for situations if they do go wrong-

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

The rule is never give another injection if you think it was a fur shot or partial shot. Lantus has a very strong odour like Bandaids so give his fur a sniff whenever you're in doubt. It's unmistakable.

Licking his fur where there might be insulin isn't a problem. You're injecting right into him twice a day.

3. Laura bb

Laura bb Member

Thank you. I do smell it when I draw insulin. I wonder if this smell is why my other kitty(Keanu) keeps hissing at his insulin injection spots and runs off-has been a problem since coming home from vet. He is less then 2 years old, has only been to vet to get fixed-but I think he remembers the smells because he really went crazy when Nermal came home the first visit. However my other kitty (Wednesday- 3 years old-my smallest kitty!) runs off Keanu to protect Nermal. Wednesday gets along with both of them. Nermal never hisses back at him, just looks confused. I have sprayed pheromone spray. It has worked, but then Keanu smells him funny again a day later or so and all of a sudden hisses. It drives me crazy. There has only been one fight of Wednesday chasing Keanu off growling and trying to attack(they get along great now). I have tried separating them but Nermal insists on being in the same room. Keanu is ok with him from a distance and has licked his head a few times since vet visit-but then all of a sudden another day hissy-scaredy-cat. I think Nermal is confused because they used to cuddle together and play together.
    I am afraid Nermal’s numbers get higher from this stress. I’m going to ask vet Tuesday. Nermal seems nervous and confused around Keanu. However Wednesday will come out of no where and growl a warning to protect Nermal. Then Wednesday will be back playing with Keanu 30 minutes later. Was thinking I should put a sweater around Nermal unless it’s time for insulin. Don’t know if he’ll wear it though! Probably even more stressful.

4. Candy&Company

Candy&Company Member

Mao does this occasionally with Fena - what you might want to try, I dunno but I have them around here just in case, is a box of cheap baby wipes. Once you give the shot, cap the needle then lightly rub the injection site as if to pet Nermal, then rip a baby wipe in half or into 4ths and use a square to rub the area clean.

Baby wipes are great - they clean, deodorize and soften the skin with aloe, vitamin E, etc. so it MIGHT calm Keanu down.

I've used non-toxic baby wipes on both of my cats, even to lightly wipe their mouths after eating, etc. so it's something to try maybe?

Another thing, after giving Nermal the shot - give a small treat, and give one to Keanu too! Mao appreciated that, and sometimes he stops rumbling at me.

5. Laura bb

Laura bb Member

Thank you its worth a try.

6. Candy&Company

Candy&Company Member

You're welcome, another tip - if they're extremely close, treat Keanu the "same" aka after taking care of Nermal, "tent" his skin and pretend to do the same thing. Or "do him" in pretend, before Nermal - sometimes that's worked on Mao, go on a case by case basis though. I will say, if it works even sometimes it IS still helpful just in case, god forbid, your OTHER baby gets diabetes too. You can never be too sure. :bighug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.