Frustration from feeling like there is no movement

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Douglas_my ginger cat, Oct 20, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Douglas_my ginger cat

Douglas_my ginger cat Member

Hi all!

I am feeling a little frustrated as Douglas has been on mainly pinks/mid-yellows since moving him to a 0.5IU up to 1.25IU (which is what I am on now). Even though I have increased his insulin slowly over the course of nearly 3 weeks, there does not seem to be any change in his blood glucose levels. WHY?! :(

The only thing I can think of is that could impact this is I feed him nearly double the recommended feeding amount as he is still hungry, could this have an impact on his levels? Moving him to this food initially reduced his levels but doesn't seem to do anything now.

Finally, I am thinking of looking to introduce a zero carb food (currently on Wild Freedom, his carb content is on average 2.6%), is this recommended or should there be 'some' carb content? Also, should carrageenan be totally avoided for cats?

Sorry for all the questions! This turned out as more of a brain dump.

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  2. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

yes.
    Wondering if this insulin just isnt working for Douglas... @Panic
    @Critter Mom am I off thinking here?

Douglas_my ginger cat likes this.
  3. Douglas_my ginger cat

Thank you for the straight to the point answer about the carrageenan :D

4. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Anna,

I can feel your frustration from here. :bighug:

Absolutely. It's a pro-inflammatory agent. Big no-no.

Depends on the cat. Some kitties seem to have a 'preferred range' of carbs where their BG levels do better. Counterintuitively, some cats don't do so well on ultra-low carb foods but do great on, say, 6-7% carbs. Trial and error is the only way to determine what works for a given cat.

Possible, but BG levels are also raised by breakdown of the body's glycogen stores plus glucose synthesised in the liver. Given Douglas is in diabetic numbers at the moment, he won't be fully utilising the grub he eats.

Is Douglas underweight or losing weight?

Is there any chance he might have any infections or any inflammation (e.g. teeth/gums, UTI)? His numbers were better on a lower dose a short while back, so after checking for any changes to carb load, inflammation and infection are the next usual suspects to look at.

Mogs

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
  5. Douglas_my ginger cat

Thanks @Critter Mom

I can feel that he is losing weight, but I can weigh him tonight when I get home.

He possibly could have, his poop on a few occasions have been a paler colour. He had a UTI when he was initially diagnosed in July. Could this only be determined by a visit to the vet?

6. Howiesmom

Howiesmom Member

I removed carrageenan from Howie’s diet (moved him Dr. Elseys CleanProtein wet food-turkey pate) and once he settled into that, he put on more weight, diarrhea stopped, and he became more like his old self. I still feed him about 450 cal which is double what he should have, but it keeps his ketones at bay and he definitely needed to put some weight on. He is a higher dose kittie with IAA but I started to finally see blues with all this (before I switched him to Levemir.) So I 100% Recommend getting food without carrageenan and guar gum.

7. Douglas_my ginger cat

I've weighed him and he is now 3.8kg. He was 4.7kg when I last weighed him on 28th August.

And of course, sod's law, PMPS is a yellow this evening o_O

8. Douglas_my ginger cat

Hi @Howiesmom, thank you for this. He isn't eating food containing carrageenan but I was looking to change him to Lily's Kitchen which is 0% carb but saw it contained carrageenan so had a look into it. I will DEFINITELY not get him this and look at alternatives. Whilst the food he is currently on is ok, I have found bits of bone and hard meats in it so want to find something more natural. It's not Douglas who is fussy, its me! :woot:

9. Diana&Tom

Diana&Tom Well-Known Member

I’d avoid Lily’s too.
    Have you looked at Natures Menu and Country Hunter? Both good quality. Available from the Natures Menu website, Fetch, and some supermarkets and pet food stores. Generally positive reviews.

10. Douglas_my ginger cat

Will check it out, thank you :)

11. Critter Mom

Hi Anna,

Paler coloured stools may hint at something up in the digestive system (pancreas, liver, gallbladder). Maybe put a call in to your vet to see whether they'd recommend blood work/stool analysis? If you do take Douglas to the vets, maybe take as 'clean' a free-catch sample as you can manage so the vet could check for UTIs (or vet may recommend cystocentesis). Also ask about checking his teeth/gums. Gingivitis can affect numbers.

Stool Colours

If you do a home urine test it might pick up if there is blood in the urine, but the leukocyte test is unreliable.

Another reason not to restrict calories. With Caninsulin, as you know, he needs a substantial feed before giving insulin, but you can give him a few smaller feeds between doses - preferably in the first half of the cycle while the dose is still effective. At the limit, the only time when food should not be available is during the two-hour fast before taking a preshot reading.

Mogs

12. Douglas_my ginger cat

Thanks Mogs. You are right, I think a call to the vet tomorrow is needed.

So I understand to rule out any possible infections or inflammation before looking at the insulin itself?

13. Critter Mom

I think it's worth chatting to the vet about the insulin too, Anna. Might be an idea to post a thread to ask for input from members who've switched from Caninsulin/Vetsulin to Prozinc to see what their experiences have been like. Could provide good fodder for discussions with your vet.

I was actually looking at a spreadsheet for a kitty who made such a switch and he got a really good result, but I don't know how common such a marked difference might be seen (ECID). Here's the link for you to have a look:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...w8P7mrCpKDFuDXECcmZK-4RRZA/edit#gid=361360320

(@Deb & Wink, @Panic: - could you possibly give Anna some views on this type of switch when you're around, please?)

Mogs

14. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

One housekeeping matter first please. On 10/19/20,PM cycle, your remarks on the SS indicate you did not give a PM insulin shot, yet you have a dose in the Units column. Would you please correct that? Thanks.

Some cats do just fine on Caninsulin (aka Vetsulin in the US). Often, it has a shorter duration and a longer lasting insulin like Prozinc (or lantus) can be helpful.

You might want to read the "Sticky" posts in the ISG forums for both insulins. Lots of information there to help you with a decision to switch insulins - or not.

Douglas actually looked better on the 1.5U of insulin. You are using a human meter, the Gluco Navi, so the reduction point is 90 mg/dL (5 mmol/L) I think. Not positive on that though.

Dose changes of 0.25U is what we recommend doing. But you dropped Douglas from 1.5U to 1U. Not sure why. Why?

15. Douglas_my ginger cat

Hi @Deb & Wink

Thanks for letting me know, I think it was more to do with the terminology as it was the blood test that I was unable to do (not the insulin shot). This is now updated.

Will check these out, thanks. Sometimes I forget there is already so much information available

I think between 07/09/2020 and 25/09/2020 I was struggling to give Douglas two shots a day so there was a lot of jumping between shot amounts especially as we were originally at 2.75. 0.5IU seemed to be the amount that allowed me to administer insulin twice a day safely. As I work during the week, blood tests during the day are restricted to weekends so wanted to avoid any potential hypos. I have now been increasing by 0.25 but still no change to his BG levels.

16. Diana&Tom

17. Douglas_my ginger cat

Can you let me know why guar gum is bad for cats?

18. jt and trouble (GA)

19. Critter Mom

Helpful link, Jeanne. :)

Mogs

20. jt and trouble (GA)

google is my friend :p

21. Howiesmom

Howiesmom Member

It is similar to carrageenan from what I read on the IBD kitties forum and can upset their tumm.

22. Douglas_my ginger cat

23. Hercule's mum

Hercule's mum Well-Known Member

sorry for highkacking your thread Douglas' mum.... but can I ask @Diana&Tom what is the carb content of the blink food? Have you tried their service?
    I always like some freebies :oops: but I've learned to ask questions....:woot:

24. Diana&Tom

https://fetch.co.uk/blink-chicken-selection-multipack-8-x-85g-457069011

I don’t know about carb content but the link above has more info, or try the Blink website.
    I tried the eight-pouch for £1 trial offer earlier this year but my cat wasn’t overly impressed. It does look nicer than some of the other brands though.

25. Critter Mom

@Hercule's mum -

Blink Chicken Selection (using as fed values from Fetch website link above):

Fish Fillet & Roasted Chicken: 1.7% kcal from carbs.

Other Roasted Chicken Varieties: 1.5% kcal from carbs.

Mogs

26. Douglas_my ginger cat

@Hercule's mum , absolutely no problem!

I spoke to Blink! yesterday and they recommended 3.25 pouches for a neutered indoor cat, 4.5/5kg weight. If that helps. At all. .... :smuggrin:

27. Hercule's mum

Thank you @Douglas_my ginger cat , very useful! They are still much more expensive than feringa, but is good to have a UK based alternative, given what is possibly in our future.... Hope Douglas make a move towards the blue soon! It is indeed so frustrating! if it is any confort, at least he is not super bouncy!

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
  28. Diana&Tom

Still vaguely within topic... My cat saw a new vet this week who recommended the following foods, if any UKers reading are interested:

Thrive
    Natures Menu
    Meowing Heads
    Little Big Paws
    Forthglade
    The Cheshire Cat’s Garden
    Canagan
    Lily’s Kitchen (but I wouldn’t personally go there)
    Almo Nature (check label, many are complementary)
    Applaws (as above)
    Encore (as above)

29. Critter Mom

Liking the cut of the new vet's jib, Diana. What a refreshing change from recommending the likes of Hill's w/d dry! :)

Was this the mobile vet? How did you get on?

Mogs

30. Diana&Tom

Ah thanks for asking Mogs... long story... don’t want to hijack Anna’s thread, maybe will start a new one...

31. Critter Mom

Ooh, I hope so, Diana. I'd love to hear how you got on. :)

Mogs

32. Diana&Tom

Well, briefly - new vet was excellent. Not sure how to tell the tale here though... will give it some thought :)

33. Douglas_my ginger cat

Thank you for sharing this list. This weekend I am actually going through a few natural cat food's to see which one I could move Douglas on. Happy to share this once I am done, will probably do most/if not all the foods listed by your vet.

Please feel free to hijack the thread :) it's a little of a mismash of topics anyway. Would love to hear tales of a good vet visit :bookworm:

Gonna have take this positive for now. My curve today using the AlphaTrak2 is showing Douglas on reds :( I have an appointment with the vet on Friday so hopefully we can rule out any possibly infections or inflammations. Fingers crossed for a change in insulin to Prozinc, if so!

34. Diana&Tom

Yes do let us know which foods you decide to try, Anna. Personal recommendations are always good although needless to say ECID in their tastes...
    Be aware that some “natural” foods are just that, ie no additions of any kind which means they may not contain all the necessary nutrients that a complete food does. Almo, Applaws and Encore are mostly in this category but I do add some of these to my Saff’s other food (Natures Menu) just for a bit of variety and moisture (she very rarely drinks water). Of the above list, I can recommend Cheshire Cat food although it is pricey - nice for a change/treat rather than every day maybe.

Definitely good idea to have a vet look at Douglas. I see a few yellows but all those reds today aren’t good. And yes, try to get Prozinc if you can, it’s the next logical one to try.

35. Critter Mom

Agree.

Agree.

Mogs

36. Hercule's mum

@Diana&Tom - So glad you found a good one, do tell how you found it!

I never used canninsulin, so I am not giving dose advice. Switching to prozinc seems like a good idea, but being a curious one I peeked at Douglas' SS, and he is in a much lower dose than when he was in the blues - maybe he needs a dose increase to move him out of the reds?

I see the same frustrating thing with hercs, he has a bright green in a higher dose, we reduce it, and then takes forever to see good results again.... It must be that they build some small reserve on the higher doses? both caninsulin are not depot insulins, but there definetely seems to be some carryover effect. I have been trying very small dosage changes lately to see if we can find the sweet spot :rolleyes:

37. Douglas_my ginger cat

Hey, so I have done some research and I think I am going to try the Applaws pate and also Thrive.

If anyone is interested, here is my spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1uYxFiJAV-1Pg7xmGSEcL80DO7twptsozbTnFvIJtpes/edit?usp=sharing
    I took prices from Bitiba, as this is usually where I shop.

He seemed to be doing ok on 2.5IU, but not ideal numbers and then as soon as I upped to 2.75IU it went haywire. It wasn't until I got to 0.5IU that I was able to administer twice daily. Since then, any increases doesn't seem to do anything :(

Deb & Wink and Hercule's mum like this.
  38. Hercule's mum

Thank you! super useful! I never considered the cost per day, which I can see is important if the food has lots of water!

I give him Feringa cans, which was the cheapest while keeping cost and additives at bsy. Is that too low quality? :oops:

39. Douglas_my ginger cat

I just had a look and I think it is similar to Rosie's Farm. I don't think it is low quality, as it contains 70% meat.

Douglas seems to prefer the texture of pate or shredded chicken, so gonna try these ones.

Hercule's mum and Deb & Wink like this.
  40. PH&MonkeyPenPenFaFaTiger

PH&MonkeyPenPenFaFaTiger Member

For my cat Monkey, then yes, if I feed him as much as he can eat by giving him like 6 big meals per day, his BG would skyrocket.

41. Hercule's mum

yes, food will always rise BG. It is all about balancing food and insulin. Is he underweight? Do you know if he is gaining or loosing weight?
    If he needs to gain weight or is not gaining despite the amount of food you are giving, then I think the correct things is to up insulin and not reduce food, but perhaps some with more experience will correct me....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.