Frozen food (in baggies) for overnight petsafe rotations, safe?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by AliceR, Aug 8, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AliceR

AliceR Member

Hello,

I am not sure about freezing cat food to put in the petsafe feeder overnight. I once ate refrozen swordfish that I had cooked thoroughly and had a similar experience to Catman. Overall he's been just fine with it and his overnight bowls yesterday and today were empty. Maybe it was just a bad batch? Anyway anybody have any recommendations to avoid this in the future? The food goes directly from a freshly opened can into a ziplock baggie. They are color-coded and written on so I will know what's what as I am also trying to steer him a little....

I added a fed columns to my spreadsheet so I can keep track of what he eats in case it's a sensitivity to a given brand or variety.

2. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Ive never used them but this post will bump your thread to the top!

AliceR likes this.
  3. AliceR

AliceR Member

Not sure why Google photos is making this difficult. It might have something to do with the fact that we still don't have electricity or internet and cell towers are running out of battery...

https://photos.app.goo.gl/X9HowDqrW1XLyTDNA

[​IMG]

Critter Mom likes this.
  4. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I would routinely make "catsickles" for Gabby. I added water to cat food and froze the food in an ice cube tray. I could leave the catsickle out when I left for work. It did fine.

There are also feeders that come with room for an icepack.

5. AliceR

AliceR Member

I think I have one of those feeders! PetSafe 5? There's a little cut out under the bowl for what would look like a square ice bag but I have no idea where that ice block bag is and knowing my luck I would put the wrong size in and it would get stuck and the bulb wouldn't rotate and I would have a very angry friend on my head at 2:00 a.m..

So I've just been freezing portions of cat food and putting them in baggies so I can leave them in the pet safe but I'm worried that maybe one of them was not right.... Maybe it was a strange one off issue. I would think if other people were having a hard time with frozen cat food going bad there would be posts about it here!

Attached Files:

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  6. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

People used to do this more often and it seems like fewer people are freezing the food -- or maybe we're neglecting to mention it. Like I said, I added water, enough to make the food a bit soupy, and froze the food.

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.