Frodo new member

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Paulina, Jul 12, 2021.

1. Paulina

Paulina Member

Hi everyone!!

So my cat Frodo is nearly 11 yrs old. He was diagnosed on the begining of the 2020 and i only started testing on 11th of may this Year. Had few unlucky attempts before.
    So when he was diagnosed vet put him on 1u of prozinc and hills dry food 2xday. Later I found this group and against the vet recommendation I changed him to wet food available here (I’m in Ireland) so he gets few meals thru the day sometimes every 2 hrs. Don’t remember how often his dose was changed ( I might be wrong but I think it was 1u then 1.5u then 2u after that 2.25 and then 2.5) but from 2.25 - 2.50 he went in august last year and that was a big change - like he stopped chasing for food, was more relaxed and we could eat without him jumping on the table and trying to steal our food. He literally first time ever slept nearby on the chair while we eat. So when I finally got some readings I thought they gonna be better than what they are
    The vet didn’t change him since then, he had the blood test done few weeks ago as he had the 2 teeth removed (it’s some immune disease that destroys he’s teeth and he will probably have more extraction in future) I adjusted the dose by advice from Chris to 2.75u also he gets some higher carbs food to avoid bounce effect in the evening (before shot) and in the mornings too. Pls help me with any advice. Thank you. ❤️

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1AD5_jQcjXcpR3JNrzuGwe-J_Wd5CgQhyIh6SeSzx7WM/edit?usp=sharing

Last edited: Jul 30, 2021
  2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

welcome.
    Your spreadsheet doesn't look too bad other than those high preshots. Hopefully those will come down. You mentioned giving higher carb food. Don't do that unless the numbers are dipping too low... It may be why those preshots are having trouble getting down. Only give higher carb of you're trying to steer him up from a dangerous low. You are avoiding all food at least 2 hours prior to the preshot tests, correct?

3. Paulina

Paulina Member

Thank You. Well the higher carb food was recommended by chris Ronkoski as she thought that frodo bounce too much between preschoots and midday check ups. The higher carb food is the same brand I use it’s just other flavour (beef) and not more than 9 % carbs which I give in the mornings and then also around afternoon when I do his midday reading and also he gets that food for the night time before I go to bed as it’s good few hours before morning reading and then the other flavour is poultry which is about 5.5%. So he gets that in between. And yes I don’t feed 2hrs before test. He eats around 4.30pm or 5pm and shoot time is 730pm. Hope that makes sense ?

JanetNJ likes this.
  4. Paulina

Paulina Member

also how will i make the preshots numbers down pls? Should i adjust the dose?

5. JanetNJ

I would consider doing his big meal after the test and shot. He may still be a little high from the food.

6. Paulina

Paulina Member

Sorry i don’t think I follow- should I reduce the amount of food or frequency of the meals during the day?

7. JanetNJ

I think you should move his dinner and breakfast to just after shot time rather than feeding it before.

Then a snack in between.

Like do test / feed/ shot at 7 am, snack at noon, test / feed / shot at 7 pm, snack before you go to bed.

8. Paulina

Paulina Member

Ok as he gets 2 bigger meals at shot time and then he eats around 11am- 12pm then around 15-16.30 even 5pm and then around 9.30-10pm and midnight to1.30am so will he not be starving? And these snacks are only like fork size always mixed with water But they are frequent and also my other cats knows the time and gets hungry around these times…

9. JanetNJ

You could give a larger snack than that. Most of us feed several meals a day. Like a can, half can, can, half can. But do what works for you. I just think the big meal before that shot may be contributing to the higher preshot numbers. Maybe just give a light snack them and the main meal at 7

10. Paulina

Paulina Member

11. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Hey Paulina!

On feeding....if you shoot at 7am/7pm, you should make sure he has nothing to eat from 5-7...then Test, Feed, Shoot.

You want to get the Pre-Shot tests when he hasn't eaten for at least 2 hours. Right before feeding/shooting. It's important to know where he's at without food influencing it and then you want to make sure he's willing to eat before you give insulin.

12. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Pauline....I was just looking at your spreadsheet more. Most new members use the "Start Low, Go Slow" dosing method which means if Frodo drops below 90 (5), he earns a reduction. He's done that several times since we heard from you so his dose should be reduced to 2.5

Paulina likes this.
  13. Paulina

Paulina Member

Will do that from tomorrow morning

14. Paulina

Paulina Member

He eats at 7.30am/7.30 pm his main meals and I do the shots then while he has his head in his bowl :) and his last snack before evening shot is at around 4.30pm- 5pm

JanetNJ and Chris & China (GA) like this.