Freestyle Libre Sensor Removal Info W/photo

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by J.J. and Phoebe Squeak, Jun 18, 2019.

1. J.J. and Phoebe Squeak

J.J. and Phoebe Squeak Well-Known Member

Freestyle Libre Sensor Info Condo

Hi, Phoebe Squeak was wearing a Freestyle Libre sensor and I was asked several questions about it -- see above condo.
    I was also asked to report in after the sensor was removed regarding bruising etc. by @AmandaE
    She had it removed this AM at the animal hospital where they put it on. They took her away to remove the sensor but they told me she didn't find it painful. I don't see a bruise, but she has some bald spots where the glue pulled out her hair when the sensor was removed.
    P.S. After Freestyle Libre Sensor Removed.jpg She is SO happy to have it off because of the clothes she had to wear over it. (See condo) She licked at the outfit so much that she was able to make a hole in the fabric, so we had to put her back in the inflatable collar yesterday. At that point she was miserable so we had the sensor removed a day early.
    We got lots of good info but I didn't realize it would stress her out so much. I think if she had to choose, she'd rather have ear pricks. But as the saying goes -- every cat is different.
    If you have any questions about the sensor, I'll try my best to answer them.

Tracey&Jones (GA) and AmandaE like this.
  2. AmandaE

AmandaE Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info!! to me bald spots = definite pain LOL but it is nice that there is no bruising :)

I think until they find a better way for attachment that I will stick with ear pricks ;)

3. J.J. and Phoebe Squeak

I was thinking the same thing -- kind of like a bikini wax on her back!

AmandaE likes this.
  4. AmandaE

LOLL!

5. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

She must be happy it's gone then. Bikini wax gone wrong......

6. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

Those spots a lot like my eyes when I get my eyebrows waxed. Pink make up for the day.

Glad she feels better removed though!

7. Jule

Jule New Member

Hi my cat has been wearing them for quite some time and she does not have to wear clothes and she does not have to wear a collar and she does not have to have it wrapped. They simply used a tiny amount of tissue glue and it stays on great for the whole 14 days! It is a godsend and I can check her as much as I want get a complete graph, my vet can sign in and see her curve in the newer versions start calculating after one hour. It’s to the point especially when they are inconsistent and that I do not want to be without this. She may walk a little differently with it between her shoulder blades but it is nothing painful and it is nothing painful and it is nothing she tries to take off. Love this device!

BooBoo and AmandaE like this.
  8. AmandaE

Nice, glad to hear a positive perspective :) It's great that your cat doesn't bother with it. The idea of constant information sounds so enticing

9. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

Thank you for sharing. Happy you aren't having any issues & it sounds like for some, it may be worth a try depending on the situation.

10. J.J. and Phoebe Squeak

WOW! You are living my fantasy! I wish so much that Phoebe Squeak could have worn it with no problem. SO GREAT to hear that for some cats it really is the right choice! Thank you for adding to this thread!

11. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

Based on Phoebe Squeaks picture, I have a feeling what she would say about another cat wearing it without a problem :p...LOL!!

12. J.J. and Phoebe Squeak

You are so right!!!!:rolleyes:

Tomlin likes this.
  13. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Hello and welcome to the FDMB, Julie!

I noticed this was your first post. How did you happen to hear about us? Has your cat been diabetic long? What insulin did your vet prescribe for your kitty? Do you have any pictures you can post of your cat wearing the Libre Sensor? Pardon all the questions. We're all more than a little curious.

Please take a few minutes to visit the Introduction Forum to post a short intro and let's all get acquainted.

Hope to see you posting often! :)

14. JennyB51

JennyB51 Member

Good morning,
    Please can anyone advise how to remove the sensor or should we wait for it to fall off?
    Many thanks
    Jenny and Tink x

15. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

It is best to just allow the hair to grow out and the sensor will fall off on its own (if you are using the application at the neck with the Kitty Kollar). If you are not using it on the neck with the Kitty Kollar or you need to take it off for some reason, J&J baby oil actually works well and does not have the caustic smell of many of the adhesive removers. You can put some on a small plate and then dip a Q-tip in it & rub the oil on the adhesive around the sensor. Give it some time and come back to it and you can use more to put under the adhesive once it has loosened. You don’t have to use much—only a small, controlled amount. Allow it to loosen vs forcing it off & you won’t have any skin irritation :).

Katherine&Ruby likes this.
  16. Katherine&Ruby

Katherine&Ruby Well-Known Member

@Tomlin provides some good advice. I recently removed one from Ruby and it requires a good bit of patience to rub off the adhesive. By doing it slowly you won't rip off any fur or skin.

17. BooBoo

BooBoo Member

Mine has been a positive experience with the libre. It literally just expired , a couple of days early but he has tolerated it really well. Tolerated the shirts I put on despite heatwave in uk, I eventually cut the first one off due to the heat, but he licked the sensor so put another on to be on safe side, started licking the shirt for first time during the 12 days so I took it off couple of days ago.. he hasnt even noticed the thing was stuck on him past few days tbh. It’s been super helpful to see what’s going on with him, I’m sad it’s gone actually. Will be booking him in to vet for removal this week. Only thing is I wish I had the reader version just for ease of data uploading to pc/downloading as PDF etc. but advantage of app only (app only for freestyle libre 2 approved in uk) is that when scanning you can just sneak your phone in, even if they are sleeping on the wrong side. I think the reader is bigger than iPhones .

18. BooBoo

BooBoo Member

Just for info- they attached it kinda back from his arm joint on one side /flank with glue. It has stayed on fine just expired a couple of days early. He has never worn anything in his life, no normal collar etc and just got on with it all. Here are some pictures for those thinking about it:
    upload_2021-7-25_16-31-7.jpeg

upload_2021-7-25_16-31-58.png

upload_2021-7-25_16-32-24.jpeg

Taishi_Ci likes this.
  19. BooBoo

BooBoo Member

These were full body suits that I cut off to make shirts due to his size!! The red one is largest size Medical Pet Shirt and the grey one a small dog size off Amazon