Fortiflora alternative

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Puddensmom, Sep 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Puddensmom

Puddensmom Member

I give Pudden fortiflora for her chronic constipation, but I am getting tired of paying the high price for it. I would like to find a replacement as it really does help keep her regular. I was looking at the Now brand on amazon and was wondering if it is suitable? I believe that most people give 1/2 a capsule twice a day? Can anyone give recommendations on what they use or if the Now brand at that dose would be good? I also wanted to make sure it is safe for a diabetic cat. Thank you!

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
    Squalliesmom likes this.
  2. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

I have used Renew Life Ultimate Flora 15 billion with great success. I have used the Now brand of other things but not the probiotic. You can also try a teaspoon or so of pure pumpkin (not the pie filling, with all the spices!) mixed into her food. I have one kitty that stays on a maintenance dose of Miralax or he will get constipated.

3. Puddensmom

Puddensmom Member

I was looking at the Renew Life brand since it appears to not have any ingredients that would raise BG levels. I'm glad to hear that it is a good choice for kitties:)

4. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

I don't know much about Forti-flora alternatives. But I sure do like Pudden's name!

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  5. Puddensmom

Puddensmom Member

LOL, thank you!

JeffJ likes this.
  6. Lillie

Lillie Member

I use Dr.Mercola's Pet Probiotics but I've read here that they may not be as strong as human probiotics. My kitty does very well on them though.

7. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

I was trying to look up more affordable alternatives to Fortiflora :bookworm: and found THIS ONE but I am not good with deciphering sugar kitty safe ingredients :oops:. @MrWorfMen's Mom or @Marje and Gracie if one of you have a moment to chime in your opinion about the ingredients? I tried comparing it to FortiFlora but there's only like 1 common bacteria :confused:. Just trying to be helpful and maybe save a few dollars for Puddensmom :)

Oh here's the main website: http://tomlyn.com/products/dog/digestive-health/pre-probiotic-water-soluble-powder-dogs
    I know the link says dogs but the site has the cat and dog one ;)

8. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

I also use the same Renew Life as Lucy and it's a great probiotic. I use 1/2 cap per day per cat for maintenance. Have you thought of giving some egg yolk powder in addition to the probiotic? As long as she is not allergic to eggs, it might help Pudden with the constipation.

Absolutely true. Probiotics for animals aren't as strong and do not have enough CFUs for enough bacteria to make it through the cat's stomach acid. But if you feel it's working for you, that's great! I did use Dr. Mercola's first (I am a big fan of Dr. Becker) but it didn't work for my cats.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.