? Food Rec’s for IBD+Diabetes

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Ali Momo’s mom, Apr 10, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ali Momo’s mom

Ali Momo’s mom New Member

Hello all! My name is Ali and I’m mom to 14 year-old Moses. He was diagnosed with IBD last year and has been on Budesonide for the past 6 months. I changed his food last month to Hill’s I/D Dry food after unresolved diarrhea. It fixed the runny stool immediately but he was just diagnosed with Diabetes and I started insulin injections 3 days ago. My question is: do you all have food recs for a cat with beginning stage kidney disease, IBD and now diabetes? His internist hasn’t been helpful with food recommendations and I’ve gathered I should switch to wet food but one specialized diet seems to create risks for the other conditions he has. I’m overwhelmed and I’m afraid I unknowingly triggered his diabetes by putting him on a high carb diet . Thx for any input/suggestions.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2022
  2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Ali and welcome to you and Moses.
    I’m sure we can help you. Can you tell us what insulin and dose Moses is on.
    Have you thought about doing hometesting of the blood glucose to manage the diabetes. We all do it here and it is the best way to keep Moses safe. If you are interested I will send you some information on it.

The Hills I/d is high carb so is not really suitable for diabetic cats.
    Do you know if he is allergic to any of the proteins?
    For a diabetic cat with early stage kidney disease, you would look at low carb, 10% and under carbs and with a phosphorus level of 250 to 200 mg phosphorus or under/100 kcals. Have a look at this FOOD LINK and look in the phosphorus and carbs columns.
    Another alternative is to look at a home made diet where you can control the ingredients.
    Have a look at
    https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/home-prepared-diet-of-crd-cats.150441/

@Wendy&Neko may have some other ideas.

Ali Momo’s mom likes this.
  3. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Novel protein diet plus probiotics (Visbiome is a good one) are good for IBD treatments. There are quite a few low carb canned options out there. Can you tell us what protein works for him? The other option is to make your own food. The FoodFurLife EZ Complete premix is low carb, low phosphorus and easy to make your own food. Here is another good website https://www.ibdkitties.net/

4. Ali Momo’s mom

I
    Thank you so much for the food link. So much useful information. Moses is on 1 unit of Glargine every 12 hrs. I'm not sure if he's allergic to any of the proteins. I have tried so many wet and dry foods over the years and they have all either irritated his skin or caused diarrhea so I was happy when I found I/D because it's the first time he hasn't had diarrhea in nearly a year. I will definitely do home testing to see what his BG is throughout the day. I'm also open to making homemade food for him; I've had him since he was 6 weeks old so as long as I can help him to maintain a good quality of life, I'll go the extra mile. Thanks again for your feedback~

5. Ali Momo’s mom

Thank you, I will check this website out tonight. Every type of protein I gave him has caused diarrhea until the chicken flavored I/D diet but maybe that has less to do with the protein and more to do with everything else that's in it...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.