? Food - did I do the right thing

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Gill & Mac (UK), Oct 24, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gill & Mac (UK)

Gill & Mac (UK) Member

Hi - I guess I am after reassurance that I have done the right thing or correction if I haven't.
    The vet called me after I had emailed him Mac's BG curve - he was happy with it and had said to keep his dose as it is for now. His numbers could be lower but but his clinical signs are very good i.e. back to his old health.
    The vet mentioned that we could now look at swapping to a diabetic food if we wanted. After things I have read on here over time (if I understood correctly) I said that I didn't feel that was necessary as he is on low carb anyway and the vet was happy to accept that.
    But now I am worrying was that the right thing to do ? Or should I have swapped?
    Thanks
    Gill -current food details are below

For your info- each day Mac has Whiskas meat in gravy - 5.3% carb but only 1 pouch, Whiskas fish in jelly 2.1% carb 2 pouches. (Both % worked out by me using the food calculator link on here)
    The not so good part is the dry RC moderate calorie urinary at 35%carb but he eats very little - less than 10% of his food in a day - I have started mixing that 50\50 with thrive dried (9.45%) to pull the average carb content of the bowl down.

2. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA) Well-Known Member

All the diabetic food recommended to me by vets was high in carb content. I believe you made the right choice. Transitioning out of the carby dry is also a good plan. Why don’t you look up the “diabetic food” he suggested and see what the carb content is? That might help ease your mind :cat:

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
  3. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

4. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

I also agree you made the right choice. If possible you may want to try weaning him off the dry food to get better results.

5. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

With the exception of Purina DM canned, all the veterinary diets for diabetics are too high in carbs. All of the wet commercial foods you've chosen are better.

An observation:

Since joining FDMB I have been struck by the number of cats who arrive here having previously been on RC Urinary s/o Dry (regular and moderate calorie), including my Saoirse. Personally, I would be highly reluctant to feed this to a cat of mine again.

Mogs

6. Gill & Mac (UK)

Gill & Mac (UK) Member

Thanks Mogs.
    Hoping to get eventually to replace the urinary with 100% thrive dry. Mac doesn't eat much dried at the moment so I am a bit concerned that pure thrive may encourage him to eat more dried - though I suppose it is still only 9% but higher than his whiskas.
    My main worry is my 2 civvie girls whose daily diet is made up about 30% and 99% respectively of the urinary dried so I am concerned about any future troubles it could cause them (never knew it was bad before this site) so my main aim is to get to 100% thrive without Mac deciding to pig out on it. Balancing act.

7. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Saoirse was prescribed the RC s/o food by a vet after she had to have oxalate uroliths removed from her bladder. :( Wha'ts really angry-making is that the oxalate urolith formation was likely caused by the so-called 'urinary protection' additives in her previous food.

Here is Dr. Pierson's page on urinary tract issues. I wish I had found it when I first became a critter parent. I hope it might have some helpful ideas for your little ones.

Mogs

8. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Perscription food is not needed. You did the right thing.

Critter Mom and Gill & Mac (UK) like this.
  9. Gill & Mac (UK)

Gill & Mac (UK) Member

That was a helpful read , thanks Mogs.

Critter Mom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.