First Curve

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Mandy S, Aug 16, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mandy S

Mandy S Member

We are doing Sissy's first curve today. She is SO grumpy. At the last check at +10 she shook her head, wouldn't let me touch her ears, tried to get out of my lap and when we finally got it done, she almost took my finger off trying to get her piece of freeze dried chicken. She usually just settles into my lap and barely acts like she knows whats going on. I guess I know how she feels about curve days. :/

The day started out with me waking up to her puking up a puddle of water with yellow tinge to it. It's the first time she has puked since we started insulin. I think it's because she ate her food when my husband left, he feeds her when he leaves for work and then several hours later I pick up her bowl and wait 2 hours to test. I think she got too hungry. At least I think that's what it was. I've been trying to feed her smaller meals through out the day, but it's never enough. I'm just going to go back to feeding her bigger meals and just however much she wants til she's regulated.

All day I've been great about getting her BG every 2 hours...at her +10 I stuck her gave her the treat and let her have her bowl...but that was the time I usually pick her bowl up before her pmps! I didn't realize it til a little later, so should I just test 15 minutes late tonight, then just do normal time in the morning? Or does that mess up her curve? Her numbers are already on the way back up, so I don't think it will matter.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2020
  2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

If she hasn't eaten since the food at +8, you're fine! We only try to keep them away from food for the 2 hours immediately before shot times so we get a number that's not influenced by food.

With Sissy in the 300+ range, you could just go ahead and shoot at the normal time tonight. Even if she had eaten in the 2 hours before Pre-shot, a little low carb food shouldn't take her so high that you need to worry about changing your shot times

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  3. Mandy S

Mandy S Member

Oh man, I need to fix that, I meant +10! I'll fix it in the original post....

4. Mandy S

Mandy S Member

@Chris & China (GA) , I'll go ahead and do her shot at 10 then, that's her normal time. Her fur shot was I several days ago, if she was messed up from that it should have been better by now, right? Her numbers where they are just means she needs a dose increase, right?

5. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Did you shoot last night? Your ss doesn’t reflect it. Good job testing.

6. Mandy S

Mandy S Member

It should show, I did shoot last night. I just did her pmps for tonight and it was 274. Which was lower than it was at +10...she was still bleeding so we tested it again just to see and it said 244. Is that normal?

So she is done. She fought hard on this one. I had to get my daughter to help hold her. She fought on the ear stick and she usually lets me give her shot while she eats but as soon as I touched her back she tried to run off. So I tried to put her in my lap and she flipped out, so had to have my daughter try to hold her again and she was squirming too much. So I squeezed a piece of the freeze dried chicken int shreds over her food and that got her attention long enough to shoot her, but my daughter still had to hold her. So by the time we got done fighting her, it was probably closer to quarter after 10 instead of on the dot. Today was brutal for her. Makes me think next time we do a curve we should try that implant thing the vet suggested. She's growled at me today and nipped my hand...she is SO not herself. I feel so bad. I hope she doesn't hate me for long. :arghh:

Last edited: Aug 16, 2020
  7. Chris & China (GA)

Our kitties really don't usually hold grudges. She still loves you...she's just a little cranky right now.

8. Chris & China (GA)

I don't see a number in the U column for last night either but I assume you gave the 1U dose.

Yeah, remember, each time you test, even if it's the same drop of blood with the same meter, it can be 20% higher or lower due to the meter variance.

Let's see what she's got up her sleeve tonight. I know you're upset but try to relax. If you're sending off "upset" vibes, she's going to think there's a reason she should be upset too, even before you ever touch her. Our kitties are so good at picking up the emotion's we're feeling.

9. Mandy S

Mandy S Member

Oh! Yes, I see what you mean about the missing dose, I added it. It was the usual 1 unit.

Yeah, I'm dreading testing her again tonight. When should I test again? I'm hoping that she doesn't do what she did a few nights ago and have a couple big drops. I'm tired and I really don't want to have to keep poking her all night. :( Her little ears have to be sore. They are red along the edges. I didn't have any of the neosporin with pain reliever, but I put just a tiny bit of the regular on her ears. Idk if it will help her or not. She's hiding at the moment. Not sure where she went.
    I'm doing okay, just feel bad for her. The last test stressed me out but hopefully we can manage the next one better.

10. Chris & China (GA)

If you can, try for a +2...that can often almost predict what the rest of the cycle will be like.

11. Mandy S

Mandy S Member

12. Chris & China (GA)

You're asking me about "weird" and we're talking about cats??? ;)

That's probably what we call a "double dip" and it's quite common with Lantus. The difference between a "double dip" and a dropping number is that in a cycle with a second dip, he will have already nadired (which he did at +8) and the second dip will not be lower than the nadir (which it isn't).

With dropping numbers, they start higher at the previous preshot and continue down all cycle so the lowest number in the cycle is around +12.

13. Mandy S

Mandy S Member

@Chris & China (GA) , Sissy's +2 was 204. That's not a huge drop, should I be okay to go to bed? I can stay up and test, but I have to drive 40 min for a medical appt for me in the morning and have to leave the house at 7am. I don't want to go to bed if I shouldn't though...

14. Mandy S

Mandy S Member

Well...she was 169 at +3. I gave her some food and set up her automatic feeders to open 2 more times before we have to pick her bowls up in the morning.
    I have to have an ultrasound in the morning so I've set 2 alarms for my daughter to get up and pick up her bowls...I should be back in time to do her AMPS and shot.
    I'll try to get one more check in before I go to bed. Only 4.5 hours til my alarm goes off to get up. ugh.

When I tested her a bit ago at +3, she didn't fight me at all. Just settled into my lap like she normally does...acted fine. I guess we're friends again. :rolleyes::)

-----editing to add that I tested at +3.5 and it was 166.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
  15. Mandy S

Mandy S Member

I overslept. I woke up a little after 7 lying on my phone. I must have picked it up, shut it off in my sleep. I can't remember ever doing that before. I was so embarrassed calling, but I'm rescheduled for Thursday :( Ugh....

Sissy's AMPS was 415. Between 1am and 8am she had probably 5oz or so of cat food spread between her bowl and 2 in the auto feeders. There was a small bit left in the bowl when I picked them up at 8. Does her high number this morning mean she had too much carbs or that her insulin just doesn't last long enough...or maybe a bounce? This is all so confusing. lol

I sent her spreadsheet and a copy of the dosing guidelines to her vet this morning. She's not in on Monday's so she won't see it til tomorrow. I told her that I was interested in the SLGS method and wanted to know her thoughts on it. I don't want to come across as telling her what to do...so I hope she takes it in the right way.

16. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

While this mornings reading is higher than you'd like the rest of the numbers speak for themselves. I would have KILLED for these kinds of numbers this early in Troubles journey. I hope your vet takes it all into account because you ARE DOING IT RIGHT!
    KUDOS!
    j

Critter Mom and Mandy S like this.
  17. Mandy S

Mandy S Member

Thank you!! I needed to hear that. :)

18. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Thats funny I needed to say it! :p

19. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Mandy, you're doing famously! :cool: